Led lights piping

Eers75

Bronze Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Parkersburg, WV
There starting to dig my pool tomorrow. I requested all 2" sch 40 pipping on all my suction and return lines. But I didn't think to request hard pipping for my Led lights. I was not home when he dropped off all his supplies. Along with the 2" hard pipe was 2 rolls of 1 1/2" flex. My guess is that's for the lights. If it is should I request hard pipe or would flex be ok?

Are you having a spa installed as well? Inch and a half is a bit big for wire conduit. Ask your builder what the flex pipe is for they wouldn't spend the money on it for no reason.

No I don't have a spa but it does say 1 1/2 spa flex. If it's not for the lights I'm not sure what else it would be for. Guess we will see in the morning. But if it is for the lights would flex be ok or should I request hard pipe?

Liquid-tight conduit is acceptable for the lights -- very expensive . If its not liquid tight then its not acceptable. They should use rigid PVC electrical conduit -- it is cheap. They have some that are somewhat bendable. That is 2014 code. 2014 code is what is adopted in WV. Its NEC 680.23 (B)(2)

Best to ask the builder spaflex pipe is water pipe not electrical conduit.

For electrical conduit flexible conduit is only to be used in short lengths where ridgid conduit is impractical.

I didn't mean to imply liquid tight flexible conduit wasn't ok for installing your pool light because it is. Pool lights is one of the places ridged conduit becomes impractical.

1-1/2" flex on my pool is used for feeding the "water falls" (if you have those).

For the pool lights. I would think 1" or 3/4" rigid PVC would be preferable. Rigid would be easier to pull the light cord through (and if future light replacement is need, since the inside is smooth).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.