Plaster Question 11 months in

Feb 21, 2016
Houston, TX
I wanted to get opinions on some things we've noticed with our plaster nearly one year after our build. We aren't night swimmers and rarely use our pool light, so it wasn't until a few weeks ago when we were in the hot tub one night that we noticed some issues in the finish that aren't easily visible in the daytime .

We'd been in contact with the builder over the last few months about a black line (trowel burn?!?) at the bottom of our steps. Did the normal builder thing: he had us try a bunch of different stuff (waiting for plaster to finish curing if it was small hairline crack, treating for black algae, rubbing tab on the line) but what we noticed with the light on is beyond that one issue. There are a lot of imperfections, including a very light shoe print. Some bumps, swirls, waves, etc.

What is an acceptable level of imperfection? We'd noticed some small imperfections, but nothing like what we can see at night. Now that I know it is there, I'm concerned about the quality of the plaster job.

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions? The plaster sub is coming out to look, but I fear it will be "that's how it is/normal."

The only one I would really worry with is the first one. What does it feel like? All of the others can be called "normal".

Kim:kim:

I agree with Kim. Hand troweled plaster applications all have the imperfections you notice when the pool light is on. It bugged me at first too until I saw post after post of others with the same [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.