Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sunction cleaner or Robot?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sunction cleaner or Robot?

We need to replace our Hayword Navigator which will be about $400 and am trying to decide if it is worth the extra $$ to get a Robot. With a Robot cleaner do your big pool filters last longer? I am thinking they might since you are catching he debris in the Robots filter basket and it is not going through the vacuum hose into the main filters.
    17,000 gallon inground pool; Plaster redone January 2015; Pentair Cartridge Filter; SWG; Age of pool unknown (house built in 1973); Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.; Doheny Discovery robot cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sunction cleaner or Robot?

I'm not sure if your filter will last longer but depending on the robot there may be less time between backwashing or filter cleaning.

No matter what they cost pennies to operate and do a better job than pressure or suction cleaners.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

I have Navigators in both my IG pools and keep them running for well under $100 a year in parts so I keep them. With my smaller pools they work great and I have sand filters so no concern about the debris going to them as they are easily backwashed.

If I had to spend $400 to repair one of them I would instead purchase a robot and sell the Navigator parts on Craigslist.
    Dave in Phoenix, AZ, USA
    12,000 gallon IG (5' max depth) , Pebble-tec,
    Hayward SP2303 Maxflo 1.65 HP, Triton TR60 sand filter, 1 skimmer, Pool Devil skimmer, 3 returns, 1 aerator port, Navigator suction-side sweep, Hayward valve actuator, Rainbird sprinkler timer used for valve automation and chlorine injection. Softened water used for makeup.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have had good luck with the zodiac mx8. The bigger one. I've gone through 2 of them in the last 12 years. They do a pretty good job.