Clorox salt?

I just bought a bunch the other day. I like the looks of it because it is very fine, but I haven't used it yet. It was also cheaper than the Morton's they also had in stock (same size bag). However, I was not a fan of their bags...I have salt in my car from where the bags were not well made.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Ill post back in a couple of days. Ill add one bag tonight to see if that brings me uo to range. I picked up ten bags in the store and they all leaked a little. I grabbed a few extra walmart bags to place them down in in the car. Haha

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I used some last week in anticipation of installing my IC40 over the weekend. I was curious to see how well my in-floor jets would distribute the salt as an experiment so I basically dumped 2 bags in the same general location and went inside for about 1/2 hour. From doing a little bit of research, and although perhaps not the best practice this did not seem like it would be a problem to do. When I came back out to take a look there was what I could best describe as a forming rust stain around the perimeter of the existing pile of salt and with a major streak headed towards the main drain.
I quickly brushed out the remainder of the pile to stop that from happening further. Over the weekend I donned my scuba gear and spent some time on the bottom of the pool with a sock filled with crushed vitamin C tablets getting rid of the substantial stain.

Needless to say, I did not, and won't be using that salt again. Perhaps it was something in my pool water that caused this reaction so I am not (exactly) blaming the Clorox Salt. Perhaps all salts would do the same under the same circumstances. I purchased the remaining salt needed from Leslie's and didn't have any problems, although I did not let it sit for any time before brushing this go around.
Your mileage may vary, but I would recommend brushing it immediately after dumping it in the pool should you use it.

Although very similar in shape, my stain wasn't nearly as dark as that one. That is downright scary. On the plus side the vitamin C in the sock did a miraculous job of cleaning it up, but I guess this means my water now has iron in it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was not able to find any online product info from Clorox which tells me this is just a rebranded bag of salt from some random manufacturer. Anyone with a bag of this stuff should carefully read the product labelling to see if there is a country of origin on it or a different manufacturers name. Most of the Clorox Pool & Spa products are NOT manufactured by Clorox but by other companies and they just use the Clorox name on the packaging. In fact, I did a little careful digging and it turns out that Clorox simply has another shell company in place which acts as a partnership with a Canadian chemical manufacturer. So, in reality, when you're buying this stuff, you're paying for the name and that's about it.

The fact that staining is randomly occurring leads me to agree with JamesW that this salt likely has yellow Prussiate of Soda (aka, sodium ferrocyanide, Na4Fe(CN)6) in it to act as an anti-caking agent. When the potassium ferrocyanide is added to pool water, the ferrocyanide anion (Fe(CN)64-, pale yellow) can be oxidized to the ferricyanide anion (Fe(CN)63-, dark red) and leave a stain. Over time, the ferricyanide will slowly breakdown to leave ferric iron (Fe3+) behind to form iron oxide/hydroxide stains.

Would this all depend on the existing water in the pool. Say it may act diffetent from one pool to the next? Still no problems here but will be returning the 2nd bag

Not a baf idea. Wasnt sure if it was the water i get from the local water company vs another member getting it from another source. Just got home and still looks ok. Thank god

Ok. So my salinity is up to 3100 anf no signs of stains at all. All other levels are within the peramitiers. So for my pool the clorox salt seems fine but next time i buy i will get the mortons just in case.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.