Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Curious About Robotic Solar Power Skimmers

1. Back To Top    #1

Lightbulb Curious About Robotic Solar Power Skimmers

Hey everyone! I've been a longtime lurker and finally pulled the trigger to have a pool installed. It's being finished in a few weeks and I'm simply doing research before diving into buying a skimmer. I've read about the SkimKing, the Solar Breeze NX, and the Skimdevil CAMIO SX15 but I'd love to know more about these units from people who actually have them. Does anyone have any feedback or input they'd like to provide about these different robotic solar powered skimmers?

Thanks friends!
    14K IG 12'x30' Rectangle Vinyl Salt Water Pool
    Hayward Aqua Rite AQR15 PL-PLUS
    Hayward SP2603VSP Super Pump VS
    Hayward 300lb Sand Filter
    Dolphin Active 30i AND Skim Devil Camio SX15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Curious About Robotic Solar Power Skimmers

Welcome Simo

You're putting a skimmer in to your build, right?

The last person I read tried it was disappointed.

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Yip, the skimmer is something I want to add but it isn't being added into my build. It's just an accessory I've been thinking about buying to keep my pool clean. I'm 110% new at this and have read more than I need to...I just want to get as much time out of my pool without having to worry about cleaning it (or having a company clean it).

My pool is somewhat close to a 60 foot tree and I have a strong feeling those leaves will be blowing into the pool. I have placed an order for a solar cover with the roller and think this might help a bit over night. Being new...I'm just not sure.

4. Back To Top    #4

Would running a robotic cleaner such as the Doheny Discover Robot and a skimmer be overkill?

5. Back To Top    #5

Robots will collect schmutz from the bottom and brush the walls and waterline, but won't collect anything floating on the surface like a skimmer does.

Why isn't your new pool build including a skimmer again??

So the answer to your question is No, a robot and skimmer are not overkill. They work on different areas.

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

6. Back To Top    #6

I think there is a misunderstanding. Your pool will have a normal in the wall skimmer right?

You are just asking about adding one of the solar powered ones to aid in keeping the surface clean, right?

Usually the normal pool skimmer will keep things clean, but honestly right now I wish I had something running around on the surface as there is a TON of palm tree flowers all over it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry for the confusion...I have two wall skimmers. I was thinking about adding the solar powered ones and a robot. These two are not included in the build because I thought I'd get a better deal from an online site versus my local store...I only have 2 and they're pretty pricey.

8. Back To Top    #8

my solar breeze works great for stuff that floats or stuff that at least takes a while to sink. its battery capacity seems to be holding up fine for now (one year old). the mfg says the batteries probably will need to be replaced every two years or so if used year round. it will occasionally get hung up on waterfall rock but eventually shifts in reverse and goes on to another section of the pool.
    35,000 gal pool, Pentair vsf pump, caretaker 99 infloor cleaner/returns, suntrek solar panels, solar breeze robotic skimmer

Las Vegas,NV

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks GVC. I plan on having a solar cover on throughout the night so I'm going to try this and a Dolphin M400 robotic pool cleaner this year.