Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Time opening after a season of TFP

1. Back To Top    #1

First Time opening after a season of TFP

We are opening the pool this week - I've tested the water, and generally things look good, but my pH is 8.2+. I'm supposed I get that in range before I add chlorine, yeah? And don't need to slam on first opening, as long as there's no algae?
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Time opening after a season of TFP

Adjust your PH. As long as your water is clear with no visible sign of algae, your CC is 1 or less, and you pass an OCLT on startup, you're good to go. Then make sure your FC matches your CYA requirements. Adjust as necessary.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have same situation (only that my pool is a swamp). But shouldn't we adjust TA first and see how that effects the pH?
    Vinyl IG 18x43 25,000 gallon
    Hayward Pro s244T 300 lb Sand (with occasional addition of clarifier)
    1.5 HP pump; Polaris 380 with booster pump; Hayward H400 gas heater
    TF-100 with SpeedSTIR

4. Back To Top    #4

High or low PH will cause you problerms a lot quicker than high or low TA will. 8.2 is MAX reading on the test.....................it could be higher.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! That was the direction I was leaning. Looking forward to seeing my pool!
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.