Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to decide if we should return our Bestway pool for Intex. Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to decide if we should return our Bestway pool for Intex. Help!

Hello,
    So without doing proper researching we went to Toys R Us and got a Bestway/Coleman brand pool. We worked 3 days to level the yard best we could. Filled the pool half full and it became off level by 3 1/2 ". So we are draining it to re-level the yard. During the time we set it up and are now are draining it, I researched and realized we want to upgrade to a sand filter and also a saltwater system. I found two very good condition used Intex sand filter pump and Intex saltwater system totaling just $60 for both, however after calling both Bestway and Intex they say they are not compatible, I looked up on Youtube how to convert them myself but that does not look easy or ideal. So next step, I called Toys R Us and asked if we can return our pool and they said yes if we can put in box and have all the pieces.
    Question.....Has anyone ever managed to get a pool already set up dried off and put back in that tiny box it came in.....? It seems like Intex pool supplies are easier to come by then Coleman/Bestway. Or should I just keep this Bestway pool and spend the money on brand new Coleman Saltwater System and Sand Pump although that is way out of budget and I'd at that point probably just keep the pump it came with and not do the saltwater system.
    Ugh..... this is already a pain.
    Thanks for any advice and help on what direction to take.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to decide if we should return our Bestway pool for Intex. Help!

So lets start by saying it is critical that the site for either a Bestway or a Intex pool be level and compacted. These pools do not tolerate being out of level.

There are so many variables about whether you can box it back up and return it that its impossible to comment. Some people are very meticulous and keep all the material others like my wife rip open the box and destroy everything. Our differences make the world interesting. I have no idea what Toys R Us's tolerances are.

Intex and Bestway use exactly the same supplies, basically four: Chlorine to supplement the salt system, or provide basic sanitation if you don't, Muratic acid , pool salt and Margarita mix.

Intex has their own fittings. There are several threads on here on how to convert its a bit time consuming but not all that difficult..

You need to understand that pools in this class while they are just fine and generally well build are not for the long term. Therefore when purchasing used you need to be very very careful and examine the condition of the used pool or equipment.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

My only suggestion which ever pool you go with, ( I'd keep the best way. Get bigger sand filter). Put paver blocks under legs.

6500 gallon SummerWaves AGP. Taylor k-2006, Jacuzzi sand filter and two speed pump. City water. Third year in use!

4. Back To Top    #4

It should not be a big deal to adapt the Intex pump/filter to the Coleman pool. Post some pictures of the fittings and you will get specific instructions. One way would be to get Intex strainers and mount them in the Coleman liner.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

5. Back To Top    #5

I would vote for converting, but I suck at repackaging things and am not too bad at "rigging" stuff that doesn't match or work the way I want. LOL

Read around on this board, even if you switch to Intex you will likely be wanting to mod things anyway and you may find it is all fine with what you already own.
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If it's just the fittings that are incompatible, those are easily cut out and replaced. My Intex pool has no Intex connectors left on it. They are all Hayward.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a 16 ft Coleman pool and purchased the Intex sand filter, and all the fittings connected without any modifications. They are the same size.