Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pool chemistry

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pool chemistry

Hello all,
    Took the leaf catcher off the pool to a green pool, the is my first opening (moved in last summer). Just got my TF-100 and looking for help on first steps, here are my results:

Calcium 200
    TA 70
    ph 6.8-7
    CYA 0
    Cl 0

CYA and ph up first, then bleach? The pool is a chilly 47F but the sun is shining and looking forward to the season.

Thanks!

20000 gallon, 15'x32' in-ground plaster pool, built 1991, Hayward S-244T sand filter, 1.5hp Hayward Self-priming pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pool chemistry

If it was me, I'd just bump CYA to 30ish and SLAM. With the water replacement you'll have from backwashing, and the general agitation a lot of brushing and filtering will create, your pH will likely rise without any effort on your part. After the SLAM has passed -- all 3 tests -- and the FC has drifted down below 10, then rebalance everything and adjust pH if it needs it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard320, just read a bunch of threads on cold water affecting CYA readings, hopefully I'm not getting false numbers due to the low temp.

20000 gallon, 15'x32' in-ground plaster pool, built 1991, Hayward S-244T sand filter, 1.5hp Hayward Self-priming pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

You're probably not. We're currently changing our procedures for cold water CYA testing - the trick is to make sure you're agitating the sample, then waiting at least 30 seconds before agitating it again and checking it. The colder water may retard the "clouding" process a bit (hence the pause being so important), but it will not affect the test other than that.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D