Looking for advice, salt cell cracked, and multiple erosion spots 24 month post build

Mar 9, 2015
Berlin, NJ
Hi everyone, I haven't been on much since I posted our pool build July 2015. I had the worst pool builder experience ever, and have since been to court with them.

Well - we just had our new pool company open the pool and we have a few issues again.

1. There is rusting on both the railing and the ladder so it was very hard to tighten - and needs a replacement of the disc and the screws.

2. The hook for the safety rope broke in half, also probably from corrosion.

3. The salt cell is fractured in two separate places. This was replaced once already under warranty, and obviously now we are out of warranty.

Would you recommend adding a zinc anode at this time, I am afraid of further corrosion to my pool/equipment.

No.

Sacrificial anodes (zinc or magnesium) need to be sized and placed properly for the "thing" it is intended to protect. The science and engineering behind sac-anodes is far more complicated than what these pool companies selling them make it out to be. Sticking a zinc bar in the water path and attaching it to the bonding wire pretty does nothing to protect your pool structure or equipment. Yes, the zinc does appear to dissolve inside the cell, but that does not indicate it is protecting anything from corrosion. If you have steel pool walls, they will corrode at the same rate with or without a zinc anode. I can't imagine what caused your salt cell to crack other than possibly being subjected to freeze damage (was it removed during the winter??) or just a low quality design on the part of the manufacturer. As far as the rusting of metals goes, pH and proper bonding of the rails as well as proper materials selection is likely the culprit. In a salt water pool, one needs to use marine-grade stainless steel (316 or 316L stainless steel) and the pH of the pool water needs to be properly controlled. Acidic pool water or adding chemicals near the rails or ladder is typically what causes the problem if the chemicals are not immediately dispersed by brushing.

Are you using a pool company to care for the pool water chemistry? You've been on TFP long enough to know that pool companies usually charge a lot of money for pool care and do lousy service in return. How are you managing your pool? Pool water chemistry is the primary driver of most pool problems...

Are you using a pool company to care for the pool water chemistry?

No, I've used TFP method since I had the pool built, never had anyone else take care of my water chemistry. And my PH has always been where it should be??

But - I had NO idea I was supposed to remove the salt cell for the winter, I never read or heard that from either my research or my pool company, if that is the case, its my fault :( I cover all equipment all winter to keep it as protected as possible.

In NJ it's too cold to leave sensitive equipment like that outdoors. Whatever can be disconnected and moved indoors will save you a lot of wear & tear. Many pool companies that close pools offer the option of equipment removal and storage for that very reason. One single night of freezing temperatures won't freeze water in PVC plumbing, but a week or more of icy cold temps can certainly freeze up pipes.

You should plan to remove and store whatever you can on your pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In NJ it's too cold to leave sensitive equipment like that outdoors. Whatever can be disconnected and moved indoors will save you a lot of wear & tear. Many pool companies that close pools offer the option of equipment removal and storage for that very reason. One single night of freezing temperatures won't freeze water in PVC plumbing, but a week or more of icy cold temps can certainly freeze up pipes.

You should plan to remove and store whatever you can on your pad.

Thank you - none of the companies I have worked with have offered this, I will look into it this fall for sure.

Do you know who manufactured the rail/ladder/hooks? Are they designed for use in a salt water pool?

I'd start with tracking down that info first before you go changing your pool care routine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.