Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: General Pool operating questions

1. Back To Top    #1

General Pool operating questions

1. Pool jets - up for aeration or sideways for pool circulation or downward?
    2. Filter operation times - save money run at night or run during the day? (allegedly the electric co charges less off peak hours)
    Vinyl 18' X 37' IGP 3'/8' deep
    27,400 gallons
    Hayward DE 4800 filter
    Full Sun NO SHADE
    Taylor 2006 test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: General Pool operating questions

Welcome to the forum.

1. Aeration will raise your pH. Point them so they move the water and provide adequate circulation. In my AGP I point my return down and to the side to create a nice swirling motion in the pool.
    2. That's up to you and the pool. I run mine during the day as I have solar, and I avoid running at night to minimize heat losses.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes.

I know, no help at all. Aiming jets is more art than science. If you're trying to raise the pH, point jets up. Otherwise, aim them to get good circulation so any floating debris gets pushed to the skimmer. If you discover temperature stratification when you jump in, that means you need to improve circulation down deep, which means crack the main drain, if equipped, or angle a jet down.

Run the filter whenever suits you best. Cheaper is always better. The only caveat is that you want it running a while before you take a sample, and also after you add any chemicals. If your only time to tend to the pool is after work, you'll need it to run a least an hour during the evening. You might be surprised at how little your pump will actually need to run to keep the water clear. Check out Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you need to have filter running while people are swimming?
    36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread

5. Back To Top    #5

No reason not to, or to.... its just personal preference. I like to have it running for continuous skimming action but the pump noise is annoying. So it depends on my mood

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Splitshot View Post
    1. Pool jets - up for aeration or sideways for pool circulation or downward?
    2. Filter operation times - save money run at night or run during the day? (allegedly the electric co charges less off peak hours)

I'm in NY and I have PSEG as my electric. Unless you actually sign up for the peak/off peak with them, you're electric costs the same. Not sure if you are PSEG but check out this link

PSEG's Residential Electric Rates
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

7. Back To Top    #7

That's good info rich I will explore that thanks