Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing Heater & Plumbing (need help)

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing Heater & Plumbing (need help)

New pool owner, bought my first house with a 40K gallon money pit in the back! I am looking forward to figuring this stuff out but a little overwhelmed so your advice is appreciated.
    Background: Pool installed ~30 years ago FOXX Pools. Have been through a hand full of liners and a couple heaters, no heater for the last 10 years. They were using Chlorine gas to shock pool weekly so I think they weren’t getting good life out of heater. I purchased Raypak 400btu heater (PR406AENC) and I am hoping to install plumbing and electrical myself to save some much needed cash. I will hire out gas plumbing if we can’t use existing buried line.
    Questions:
    1. Currently my PVC piping is all 1.5” suction and return lines. The heater I bought says 2”CPVC should I re-pipe what I can into 2”? (see photo) Would you only re-pipe downstream of pump?
    2. I would like to install a by-pass for the heater so if I shock pool or chemistry isn’t right I am not degrading the copper heat exchanger. Sound right?
    3. Looking to purchase ball valves, any recommendation given cost constraints?
    4. I was going to source PVC at big box store, any issues with that?
    5. Looking at my photo would you move anything or any other comments & suggestions would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20'X40' -40 K gallon, In-ground
    1.5hP Hayward & Cartridge Filter
    Minneapolis, MN
    Dolphin DX4 Pool Cleaner
    Rakpak 400 BTU NG ELE Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installing Heater & Plumbing (need help)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwaters View Post
    Questions:
    1. Currently my PVC piping is all 1.5” suction and return lines. The heater I bought says 2”CPVC should I re-pipe what I can into 2”? (see photo) Would you only re-pipe downstream of pump?
    2. I would like to install a by-pass for the heater so if I shock pool or chemistry isn’t right I am not degrading the copper heat exchanger. Sound right?
    5. Looking at my photo would you move anything or any other comments & suggestions would be appreciated.
    I would put the pipe from the pump to the heater and then from the heater to the ground in 2" CPVC

Shocking the pool is not what causes damage to heater cores its ph and alkalinity. I would recommend a bypass.

Generally ball valves are not a good idea unless you want the expensive ones. They tend to lock in place and fail after only a few years. Jandy valves are better because they don't have that issue.

If you want CPVC you are probably going to have to go to a plumbing supply house. Where I am they are often less expensive than the big box guys.

It looks good with the unions .
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Installing Heater & Plumbing (need help)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwaters View Post
    New pool owner, bought my first house with a 40K gallon money pit in the back! I am looking forward to figuring this stuff out but a little overwhelmed so your advice is appreciated.
    Background: Pool installed ~30 years ago FOXX Pools. Have been through a hand full of liners and a couple heaters, no heater for the last 10 years. They were using Chlorine gas to shock pool weekly so I think they weren’t getting good life out of heater. I purchased Raypak 400btu heater (PR406AENC) and I am hoping to install plumbing and electrical myself to save some much needed cash. I will hire out gas plumbing if we can’t use existing buried line.
    Questions:
    1. Yes you can buy a reducer and use all 1.5" PVC. It's done all the time. Will not cause any issues.
    2. Yes install a bypass.
    3. Ball valves unless you open and close them say a few times a year will eventually become hard to turn and thus inoperable. A few bucks more for the Jandy and you won't regret it.
    4. Big box stores use the dame brands PVC and many pool supply houses use.
    5. Where is your gas line coming in at? Just try to be neat when you run your pipes and when you glue.
    Paul
    Gastek Pool & Gas Services If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. Gastek Google review,
    Check out some videos on my YouTube channel - Gastekservices on YouTube