Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner Seeking Wisdom

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner Seeking Wisdom

Attachment 59742Attachment 59743Attachment 59747Hi All...new pool owner as of last summer. I am SOOO looking for to using the TFP method....been reading so much good info. So I had my pool professionally closed last Fall, these pictures are from last summer. I ordered my Taylor test kit...to test the water and begin opening the pool later this week. I will post questions as they come up. My big concern is the staining you see in the pictures. I am unsure if it is organic or metal, there is also some minor discoloring on the floor of the pool. I plan to SLAM the pool to kill all of the algae in it soon. Will the SLAM remove a lot of these stains? My question is what is the best way to attack these stains and clean up the plaster? Drain the pool and do an acid rinse? No drain zero alkalinity acid treatment? SLAM? Thanks so much...this FORUM has already been a life changer...you guys rock!!!
    32,000 Gallon. Gunite with plaster. In-ground, spa attached. Pump - Jandi JHP2.0 (2hp). Filter - Jandi DEV48 (filtration area 48 sq/ft, flowrate 120 gpm)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner Seeking Wisdom

Stain removal depends on what type of stain it is.

If it's organic, from leaves and debris sitting in one spot and rotting, a few months of steady chlorination will fade them with no extra effort on your part.

If it's metals, ascorbic acid treatment will lift them and a sequestrant will keep the metal in suspension so it doesn't reoccur. But you also need to find out where the metals came from. Iron in the well water? Some previous owner used a poolfrog or some other non-chlorine sanitizer (misnomer) system?

If it's rusty rebar leaching up through the plaster, you're stuck.

Get a couple Vitamin C tablets. Plain Vitamin C, cheapest you can find. Set them on a stain for a few minutes. If the stain disappears, it's metals. Check out the photo in Yellow Stains
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Tim,

Welcome to TFP. I don't have any answers for you on the stains because I am a newbie too...but I love your coping! That color variation looks great! I just got my pool 6 weeks ago and it has been TFP from day 1. My water looks amazing and smells as fresh as a daisy! You will love it!

Crystal
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you, I will do the Vitamin C testing. What about the discolorations along the bottom of the pool, you can see them in pic 1. Is that just normal look of older plaster? Would you ever advise a drain and acid wash to brighten it all up?
    32,000 Gallon. Gunite with plaster. In-ground, spa attached. Pump - Jandi JHP2.0 (2hp). Filter - Jandi DEV48 (filtration area 48 sq/ft, flowrate 120 gpm)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Timmygreen View Post
    Thank you, I will do the Vitamin C testing. What about the discolorations along the bottom of the pool, you can see them in pic 1. Is that just normal look of older plaster? Would you ever advise a drain and acid wash to brighten it all up?
    No experience there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I would recommend getting water balanced, algae free, and test the stains to see the type before considering draining and acid wash.
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you, I will get the pool running and crystal...and then diagnose the stains and decide the appropriate course of action. In regards to opening the pool, since I need to SLAM my pool as it is now....do I start the SLAM right off the bat while opening the pool....or do I clean out pool, get chlorine and cya to the right levels....and then start the SLAM?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Timmygreen View Post
    Thank you, I will get the pool running and crystal...and then diagnose the stains and decide the appropriate course of action. In regards to opening the pool, since I need to SLAM my pool as it is now....do I start the SLAM right off the bat while opening the pool....or do I clean out pool, get chlorine and cya to the right levels....and then start the SLAM?
    Follow the SLAM directions. That includes a lot of brushing and vacuuming. If CYA is low, it's easier to SLAM. When it passes all the tests, then you can raise CYA if needed and let the FC drift down to target.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you very much!!