Plaster Pool Cracks

May 26, 2016
Norton Shores, MI
I bought my house last year and there is a plaster pool in the back yard. We opened and used the pool last year but noticed that there were a few vertical cracks along the pool walls. I've had a few pool companies out to look at them this year and was told that the plaster looks really new. I can't find anyone to repair the cracks the proper way we want, so I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the hydraulic cement? If you "V" out the crack and put this in there, can you put plaster over the top of it? We were losing some water last year, never did a leak test. It's mainly a cosmetic issue that we would like to fix or maybe these cracks are issues if the pool was recently re plastered? I can"t find out who or when the plaster job was done, previous owners will not return any calls or emails from the Realtor. Any recommendations on what's the best way to fix these cracks without just putting some silicon or something on there? I'd rather do something that we can plaster over to make it look decent. I can post some pictures later on or tomorrow.

Welcome to TFP!

I've had 3 cracks since 2013 including one in 2013 that leaked. PB fixed all of them with black and white pool putty mixed together to sort of match the plaster color. Mooshed it into the crack underwater and it cures underwater. The crack hasn't leaked since.

Can you post a picture of the cracks.

As Pooldv above states for small cracks its often better to go with the lest intrusive method that solves the problem. If you have larger cracks or cracks that ore more than plaster cracks that could be more of a problem. So post some pictures.

I can post some pictures tonight or tomorrow morning of the cracks. I don't have any at the moment and I am at work.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure what "PB" is? I don't have to worry about doing it underwater, we have drained the pool down to below the crack.

I would try some pool putty on those and see what happens. If they keep coming back or getting larger then its time to be more aggressive. The vertical line is interesting. What does the deck look like behind this? Does it continue onto the floor? Picture of whole area?

Their both vertical line cracks so I'm unsure which one your referring to. The first picture doesn't continue down to the floor but the second one does not. There was a hot tub behind the these pictures that was filled in by the previous owner. image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 88
Before I would get aggressive on those cracks I would try to figure out the cause. Your expand and inject cement is a method for repairing the underlying gunite shell not the plaster. So unless you know the cracks extend through the plaster to the gunite and know the cause of the cracking I would stay rather passive and use pool putty. Only conduct pool surgery if you follow the surgeons rule "First do no harm"

It is interesting the deck appears to have a fairly fresh repair behind the crack.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You got the same tile as me! I got some hairline cracks all over from the plaster drying out after being empty for 3 weeks but yours are wider. It does looks like you had an expansion joint pointed at the area in question and as gewegan said there appears to be new cement in that area and the expansion joint no longer runs to the edge of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.