Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM question

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM question

I bought my house last year, and was clueless about pool maintenance, so I hired the local pool store to open and close last year. After reading this site for weeks, I got the confidence I needed to do it myself this year.

I started SLAM two days ago. Water was clear, just some nastiness on the bottom. CYA was 40, so I have kept FC above 16 for the past 48 hours. Noticed that I wasn't having to add as much bleach yesterday, so I did an OCLT last night and passed (was at 18 last night and at 17.5 this morning). CC is 0.5. The water is pretty clear but just a tiny bit cloudy.

My question is can I stop slamming? Should I continue slamming just because of a little cloudiness?

Thanks in advance!
    15K Gallon, IG Vinyl, Hayward Sand Filter, Century 1.1 HP Two Speed, TF-100, Barracuda G3

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM question

Yes, you should keep slamming until the water is crystal clear to ensure you don't have to do it all over again
    Passing the OCLT alone is not the sole signal in a slam -- visual clarity and the absence of algae together with passing the OCLT is the winning trifecta
    In ground vinyl Grecian, 24k gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, VGreen VSP 165, Hayward SWG, Raypak NG 265k heater, dolphin m4.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains