Pump repair questions

ump107

May 12, 2014
Hunterdon County, NJ
Towards the end of last season I noticed water seeping out of my superpump, and if it was shut off for several hours it would lose prime. I just replaced my pump with a PureLine model from INYO, the replacement was a breeze. Since the old pump is at least 15+ years old I thought replacement was the best option. I am now looking at the possibility of rebuilding the old pump and using it as a backup, or for utility purposes with the pool. My question is, as you can see in the below pictures that the pump is in pretty rough shape and the shaft is corroded, do I need to clean up the shaft with some emery cloth or just leave it and replace the seals?

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkPump to motor.jpgView attachment 59728View attachment 59729

If the photos are too big let me know I'll try to resize them, or a mod can adjust.

Last edited:
That pump looks a heck of a lot better than the one I just rebuilt. Hardest part of the whole rebuild was getting the corroded screw out of the endbell....the one near the shaft in your first picture. Everything else is pretty easy and there are tons of videos out there to watch if you need help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.