Debris found in water return -- what could it be?

txreap

Gold Supporter
Apr 29, 2009
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
CL 3
PH 2
FC 2.5
CC 0
TC 2.5
CH 375
TA 110
CYA 55

Water is clear. Pool has been open all winter with SWG/pump running 4 hours per day, 40% SWG. Extended hours with the time change back up to 10 hours. Today I added salt, acid, stabilizer & bleach to start improving my numbers. When I went to pour acid in pool at the water return jet, I noticed this white, flat particle wedged across the return. As I went to remove it, it broke into smaller pieces. Attached is a picture of the fragmented pieces. Would like to hear folks thoughts on what this might be and how it formed in my pool. Thanks.View attachment 59719

pour a drop or two of MA on a piece and see if it fizzes up. It would be calcium if it does, I believe?

Interesting pattern.. does it match your walls or anything?

Yip :flower:

It definitely bubbled when I put a bit MA on it. Before I broke it, it was probably at least $.25 size, but as you can see flat. It is an interesting pattern, but I will have to wait for daylight to see if matches the plaster. I don't think so, but I haven't didn't have a reason to look that close before.

How old is the pool? It looks like some excess plaster that was caught in the plumbing and finally got pushed out.

The pool is 20 years old, and could use new plaster. I was concerned at one point recently due to the skimmer basket intake seeming to have low intake pressure. I ended up using a pressure bulb to push water back from the pump side to skimmer basket. Seemed to have sufficient flow, but I kept the other valves less than fully open to make sure it was removing leaves, and hoping the pump skimmer would catch whatever broke free. That was probably very late 2016.

pour a drop or two of MA on a piece and see if it fizzes up. It would be calcium if it does, I believe?

Interesting pattern.. does it match your walls or anything?

Hi YS, my plaster has a smooth finish.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hmmmmmm.... I guess I gotta wonder if Richard is correct and it was plaster in the lines finally (FINALLY!) breaking loose and coming out. You've looked at your SWG for scaling, right??

Today's Readings
CL 5
PH 7.8
FC 3.5
CC 3.5
TC 7.0
CH 425
TA 100
CYA 40??? --added 1/2 bottle of LS Sunday. Will retest later this week.

ok, so sometimes the simplest answer is the right answer. Guess I didn't realize I had gone that long without checking SWG. Check out these two beauties. ---ooops photo exceeds size limit. In length, they each exceed a US. $.25 by a 1/2 inch. In width the quarter slightly exceeded each. SWG now soaking in MA-Water solution for a nearly an hour; still bubbling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.