Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Debris found in water return -- what could it be?

1. Back To Top    #1

Debris found in water return -- what could it be?

CL 3
    PH 2
    FC 2.5
    CC 0
    TC 2.5
    CH 375
    TA 110
    CYA 55

Water is clear. Pool has been open all winter with SWG/pump running 4 hours per day, 40% SWG. Extended hours with the time change back up to 10 hours. Today I added salt, acid, stabilizer & bleach to start improving my numbers. When I went to pour acid in pool at the water return jet, I noticed this white, flat particle wedged across the return. As I went to remove it, it broke into smaller pieces. Attached is a picture of the fragmented pieces. Would like to hear folks thoughts on what this might be and how it formed in my pool. Thanks.Attachment 59719
    txreap
    19.5K, IG plaster pool, with spill over spa, circa 1997. Goldline Controls SWG, T-15 cell. Pump-Centurion single speed. Sand Filter- Pentair Tagelus 60D installed '13. Polaris 360 with 1/2hp Booster pump. Austin, TX. TF-100 Test kit (with stirrer)!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Debris found in water return -- what could it be?

pour a drop or two of MA on a piece and see if it fizzes up. It would be calcium if it does, I believe?

Interesting pattern.. does it match your walls or anything?

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

How old is the pool? It looks like some excess plaster that was caught in the plumbing and finally got pushed out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    pour a drop or two of MA on a piece and see if it fizzes up. It would be calcium if it does, I believe?

Yip
    It definitely bubbled when I put a bit MA on it. Before I broke it, it was probably at least $.25 size, but as you can see flat. It is an interesting pattern, but I will have to wait for daylight to see if matches the plaster. I don't think so, but I haven't didn't have a reason to look that close before.
    txreap
    19.5K, IG plaster pool, with spill over spa, circa 1997. Goldline Controls SWG, T-15 cell. Pump-Centurion single speed. Sand Filter- Pentair Tagelus 60D installed '13. Polaris 360 with 1/2hp Booster pump. Austin, TX. TF-100 Test kit (with stirrer)!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    How old is the pool? It looks like some excess plaster that was caught in the plumbing and finally got pushed out.
    The pool is 20 years old, and could use new plaster. I was concerned at one point recently due to the skimmer basket intake seeming to have low intake pressure. I ended up using a pressure bulb to push water back from the pump side to skimmer basket. Seemed to have sufficient flow, but I kept the other valves less than fully open to make sure it was removing leaves, and hoping the pump skimmer would catch whatever broke free. That was probably very late 2016.
    txreap

6. Back To Top    #6

What really concerns me is the low pH of 2, very acidic
    Can you recheck or is its a mistake

10,000 gallons inground Leisure fibreglass pool, Hayward powerline pump, Quality120 glass media filter, 27kw output air source heat pump and thermal cover.
    Retractable cover with Polycarbonate roof and glass side for all year round use. K-2006C test kit and Speed stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry. Should have been 8.2.

txreap

8. Back To Top    #8

Yip
    Hi YS, my plaster has a smooth finish.

txreap

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by txreap View Post
    Hi YS, my plaster has a smooth finish.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Hmmmmmm.... I guess I gotta wonder if Richard is correct and it was plaster in the lines finally (FINALLY!) breaking loose and coming out. You've looked at your SWG for scaling, right??

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

10. Back To Top    #10

Hmmmmmm.... I guess I gotta wonder if Richard is correct and it was plaster in the lines finally (FINALLY!) breaking loose and coming out. You've looked at your SWG for scaling, right??

Yip
    Today's Readings
    CL 5
    PH 7.8
    FC 3.5
    CC 3.5
    TC 7.0
    CH 425
    TA 100
    CYA 40??? --added 1/2 bottle of LS Sunday. Will retest later this week.

ok, so sometimes the simplest answer is the right answer. Guess I didn't realize I had gone that long without checking SWG. Check out these two beauties. ---ooops photo exceeds size limit. In length, they each exceed a US. $.25 by a 1/2 inch. In width the quarter slightly exceeded each. SWG now soaking in MA-Water solution for a nearly an hour; still bubbling.
    txreap