What Materials to Surround AGP With?

Tfaff

Jan 18, 2016
St Anthony,MN
We are looking for options for landscaping or whatever materials you all use around your AGP. We have a deck around half of our pool, and so far just clay dirt at the base of the other half. We originally thought we might put some shrubs around it, but I'm finding that we need to get right up to the pool edge for vacuuming and cleaning, etc. Wondering if other owners build the soil up next to the pool side? Any pictures with different options would be appreciated.

I originally tried rubber mulch, but it was too light and ended up all over the yard. Replaced it with river pebbles and have been very happy with them.

temporary_zpsa89e2b53.jpg

Yes! Generally plastic edging! I also have river rock around mine.
Just be sure that you dig out and put a little sand - tamp it down- then weed fabric and then the river rock. I added steppingstones to stand on while vacuuming.
ALSO*** slope the base away from your pool so not to pool water around it and create a mosquito breeding ground. Yuk!
Good luck. I'll post pics if I can find a second.

Yes! Generally plastic edging! I also have river rock around mine.
Just be sure that you dig out and put a little sand - tamp it down- then weed fabric and then the river rock. I added steppingstones to stand on while vacuuming.
ALSO*** slope the base away from your pool so not to pool water around it and create a mosquito breeding ground. Yuk!
Good luck. I'll post pics if I can find a second.

The purpose of the sand & tamping is to prevent it just being a muddy collections of rock *

We are in the same boat. Looks to me like an advantage to the Doughboy pools is any of them can be buried. I'm thinking this makes grading a whole lot easier since we can have dirt up against our pool and not void the warranty. Right now we have a muddy mess that isn't draining away from the pool. I may add a few hostas to soften the look after our dog is trained to stop digging everytime the Dolphin is running and we are out of sight. I've also found that using plastic hot tub steps are a great way to clean on the side without a deck--easy to move where you need them and not high enough for our 3 year old to get to the water.

Since they dug an extra 18 inches when they put the pool in, we put down barrier fabric, then sand, tamped it down, and topped it off with a delivery of 1" - 3" river rock. We get pretty fierce storms here and I'm not about to have smaller size stone that can blow around. We put a landscaping edge to keep it in and neat. Went around the equipment too. It also keeps the kids from walking right up near the pool. Now we need to figure out a deck... UGH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.