Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pool care

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pool care

Hi everyone,

We bought a house in November with a pool. We had a pool guy until January and we took over care then via the pool store. I have been lurking on the website and forum for about a year since we originally were going to build a pool at our old house. We received our test kit last week and are doing our second testing today. We are completely new to having a pool and a little overwhelmed. Our free chlorine and cya are really low. How do I raise our Fc and cya? We have chlorine we got at the pool store previously. Can I use that? I need to make a signature but it's about 10,000 Gallons, Swg, fiberglass. I don't know if I should post our numbers from last week, but today they are
    Fc .2ppm
    Cc .4ppm
    Ph 7.8
    Ta 60ppm
    Ch 520ppm
    Cya black dot never goes away
    Salt 4000ppm

The Fc, cc, and Cya have all gone down since last week. I meant to post then, but got busy and wanted to retest before posting. Help!

Jeniece

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pool care

Hello Jeniece and welcome to TFP! Testing on your own is the only way to go. No worries, we'll help you get started. My recommendations are assuming your pool water is crystal clear and not the slightest hint of algae (cloudy or green). If it is, stop and let us know.

First is CYA. A SWG pool needs a CYA of at least 70, but we don't know if you have a little remaining. Use granular stabilizer (i.e. from Wal-Mart of big box stores) to increase CYA by "60 ppm". Use the "sock-soaking method" to soak and squeeze often. The Poolmath calculator will help with dosage amount (link below). Just add 60 ppm more.

Next is FC. For now, use regular bleach (or that liquid pool store chlorine) to increase FC to about 3 for today. Never let that FC drop below 3.

As your stabilizer dissolves, your water will have more sunscreen to protect the FC generated by your SWG. Begin to adjust percentage and/or run times to ensure you maintain an FC in the range of 4-6. Again, never let it drop below 3.

Water in your area is hard, hence the elevated CH. To compensate, always keep the pH below 7.8 to avoid scale. Your TA is fine right where it is. Ideal pH for you might be between 7.4-7.6.

That should get you started. Let us know if you have anymore questions. Great to have you with us.

PS ~ If the water is NOT perfectly clear (hazy, green etc), let us know so we can tailor some of those notes above.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you! That's really helpful. Our water is really clear. We are heading to the store to the the stabilizer and bleach.

Jeniece

4. Back To Top    #4

One more question, is it safe to swim at all while the stabilizer is in the skimmer?

Jeniece

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes it is. Just put it in a sock and let it start dissolving. Squeezing by hand often is fine. Keep away from eyes though, so don't rub your eyes right after squeezing.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi all. Jenw's husband here. So I added a little chlorine, put about 3 pounds of cya in 2 big socks, and went out of town for a few days. Here are the numbers today:

Temp: 76
    Fc: 0.8
    Cc: 0.2
    Ph: 7.6
    Ta: 60
    Cya: 50

The socks full of cya are still about a quarter full, so I left them in the basket. I added 32 Oz of 10% chlorine today. I noticed our salt cell was set to the lowest setting of 20%, so I bumped it to 40% .

It's there anything else I should do? Would it hurt to pour in a bottle or 2 of chlorine to try to boost the fc numbers up a little?

Thanks for all the help! I'm clueless on this stuff!
    18,000 gal, fiberglass, IG saltwater pool.
    1.5 hp single speed champion pool pump, Pentair intellichlor swg, Waterway plastics cartridge filter, Solar heater, Kreepy krawly sand shark vacuum, waterfall and jets as optional features, Fiber optic light
    Murrieta, California

7. Back To Top    #7

You are on your way. Up the SWG 70%. It's better to come down later since your FC is low!

7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I would add some chlorine to get you to the target right away. SWGs are great at maintaining FC but for quick bumps to FC it is best to help it out.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

9. Back To Top    #9

Awesome. I threw another gallon of chlorine in, and bumped the swg to 80% (there isn't a 70% setting on mine) and will check cya and fc again tomorrow.

Thanks again!
    1.5 hp single speed champion pool pump, Pentair intellichlor swg, Waterway plastics cartridge filter, Solar heater, Kreepy krawly sand shark vacuum, waterfall and jets as optional features, Fiber optic light
    Murrieta, California

10. Back To Top    #10

Just curious as a new owner of a test kit.... How are you getting a FC reading of .7? I thought it would only measure in .5 increments.

Thanks,
    Mike
    20 by 40 Vinyl, 33,000 gallons
    SWG- Jandy AquaPure 1400; Jandy Sand Filter
    Jandy 1.5 HP single speed pump
    Polaris robot
    TF100 Test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by mjob1999 View Post
    Just curious as a new owner of a test kit.... How are you getting a FC reading of .7? I thought it would only measure in .5 increments.

Thanks,
    Mike
    I don't see a reading of 0.7 anywhere, and if you use a 25ml sample you get 0.2 ppm resolution. That is a good point for the OP though: you can save reagents by using a 10 ml sample and counting each drop as 0.5 ppm.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the advice. I plan to use the smaller size once my free chlorine is not so low.
    Murrieta, California

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    I don't see a reading of 0.7 anywhere, and if you use a 25ml sample you get 0.2 ppm resolution. That is a good point for the OP though: you can save reagents by using a 10 ml sample and counting each drop as 0.5 ppm.
    I must have seen something wrong there oops! Didn't know about the 25 ml sample. Good to know! Thanks!

-Mike
    20 by 40 Vinyl, 33,000 gallons
    SWG- Jandy AquaPure 1400; Jandy Sand Filter
    Jandy 1.5 HP single speed pump
    Polaris robot
    TF100 Test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

So after adding a gallon and a quart of 10% chlorine yesterday, and bumping the swg to 80%, my fc is up to 10. Much better than the 0.8 yesterday. Unless someone says otherwise, I won't add anymore today.

Cya is 40ish. I squeezed the last out of my socks just now. How long should I wait after adding to retest? I want to get the cya up slowly so I don't overshoot. I'm aiming for 70/80 range I think.

Thanks!
    Murrieta, California

15. Back To Top    #15

Hi all,

I cleaned the filters and pump basket last week. That may never had been done before. It was scary nasty. I found underwear in there! I also squeezed the last of my cya pit of my socks. That was last weekend, and i haven't done anything else this week except lowered my salt cell to 60% on Wed. Here are my numbers. Anything seem out of whack?

Fc - 3
    Cc - 0
    Ph - 7.3
    Ta - 60
    Ch - 520
    Cya - 70
    Sc - 3800
    Temp - 77

I also used a speedstir this time, so my numbers may be a little more accurate.

Thanks for the help!
    Murrieta, California

16. Back To Top    #16

Based on your CYA for a SWG pool, you would want to increase FC slight to about 5 - never lower than 3. Everything else looks fine, and keeping the pH and TA on the lower end of the spectrum like you are now helps to compensate for the elevating CH.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Based on your CYA for a SWG pool, you would want to increase FC slight to about 5 - never lower than 3. Everything else looks fine, and keeping the pH and TA on the lower end of the spectrum like you are now helps to compensate for the elevating CH.
    Those numbers were right before the pump turned on, so I assume that's the lowest it would read. Should I test again this afternoon after the cell has been generating all day? Is there a downside to running the swg at a higher level?
    Murrieta, California

18. Back To Top    #18

Running the SWG more than required simply shortens its service life, and of course creates more FC than needed - most of which would probably just be wasted to the sun. So the better you can adjust SWG output (%) and pump run times to achieve optimal FC amounts the better. It's a balancing act of course, and during this time it's always better to be slightly higher than lower as you continue to get everything adjusted.