Total Alk.

May 12, 2009
I have a question, why would a pool store, whom I thought was fairly competent, tell me that I need to raise my TA to a minimum of 125 ppm......Its sitting at 90 right now, and I actually thought that It should be lowered to about 80.....

Even his spec sheet when he pulls you water chem. says TA should be 125-150 ppm....

Because pool stores are in the selling business like any other store. Don't forget - they are stores, not pool consulting businesses. Never buy the chemicals and the amounts they recommend to you. Use the knowledge you acquired at TFP .

Because they assume that you are using trichlor and that would be an OK TA range for trichlor while 90 would be a bit low.
I bet they also say that a CYA of 30 ppm is ok for a salt pool! (it isn't!).

The software that does the printouts is dumb (as are many of the people that work in the stores. They can read the printout but really have no real understanding of pool chemistry. I am always amazed at the number of pool store employees that do not even own pools!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.