Fixing to start pool renovation - selection process questions

SamsIam

Bronze Supporter
May 28, 2016
Arlington, TX
We are looking to get our pool resurfaced, new tile, coping and hopefully some structural changes. Maybe fountains, tanning deck, and shade structure. I have scheduled a few different pool contractors - from small (with personal recommendations) to one of the larger companies (once again a recommendation). I am curious as to what peoples thoughts are on company size and work delivered. All I am contacting claim to have been in business for at least 20 yrs.

My in-laws told me I should consider acting as contractor and just going straight to the "one company" that does most pool resurfacings in the DFW area but I don't know if I am up for that. Could probably save money but I need some creative minds to help me come up with some options for my pool.

Thanks for any feedback

Can you post pictures of your current pool and area and then explain where you would like the changes.
The members here will definitely chime in and help you out. I have changed many things based on the experts here and I'm glad I dif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I am all for those ideas. I was looking for general contracting questions but I surely need help here.

Here is what we are doing for sure
- Replasture - some kind of quartz aggregate.
- New tile - something in a solid color, i guess the aggregate will help determine that
- New coping - probably sandstone
- New mastic
- Remove Diving Board

Here is what I want to do additionally
- Possibly raise Hottub walls, include some kind of step down
- Some kind of structure change in shallow area - sunbath platform (we spend 90% of our time on the edge where the umbrella is hanging off the edge)
- A fire feature somewhere around the pool. - my gas is on the side of the house around from the deep end about 50'. Only thing we are plumbed for is the hot tub heater. I suspect about the only place I will be able to do this is where the diving board is - in front of the raised Vegetable garden because of gas line location and difficulty getting it to the shallow end
- A pergola or some sort of shade on Shallow end from house ( window ledge - to where Umbrella is or more) line to fence. I'd like it to cover the shallow end somewhat.
- New hot tub heater
- Pentair panel for controlling valves, pumps, heater
- Wifi option for panel - to connect to home automation system

Looking for ideas, thoughts or any opinions to help guide me. As you can see my options are a bit constrained due to the lack of space and it's a dull pool right now. Behind the camera view is another pavestone deck with table/umbrella and area for my grill. I may look at an outdoor kitchen over there but that is a bit removed from the pool due to the shape of the house.

Thanks!

pool.jpg
- - - Updated -

Last edited:
I just got a call back from one Pool builder - he said they won't do structural changes because they are too problematic. Am I going down a path that I shouldn't? It makes sense when he said it - things shift and it is too much of a problem/liability.

Looking for ideas on Tanning Shelf, stools, etc

Wife was wanting to convert steps into a Tanning shelf of some and move step out a bit (just a step off tanning shelf). She is not sure yet which depth - first thought was height of first step but I pointed out to her we usually land on the second step. I pointed out to her further we typically spend most of the time hanging off the edge of the pool. I thought stools of some sort would be better serving us close to the edge but it seems the slop of the pool would put us too far off the edge to be comfortable. Anyone have ideas around these or experience with something like that?

thanks!

IMG_4384.jpg

Yea I am talking to myself here but anyways - talked her out of a tanning ledge. Going with bar stools and a large slab that will hang off of the edge like a lowered bar - probably 4" above deck that will hang over the water about 6-10"

I just renovated my pool in January 2017. New spa add on new everything! Here's the pics. I went with a contractor because i didn't want to deal with it. Pool contractors are the worst. Choose wisely. I went with pentair equipment and ScreenLogic. Way cool to turn on the spa from your car on the way home!! I also added a sitting platform in the shallow end with an umbrella port. That's a nice add my kids love to sit and play on that platform. Good luck. I'm sure you will do fine. y
eb32170ae42b157cc8c4270614bfdacd.jpg
d9a2c971f2d0302a2a3d5da3f5648a03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

latest idea - doing a fountain like this at deep end where diving board is and then two stools with part of our flag stone will stick out like this bar table so we will have a deck level table jutting out 4-10" out for about 6' near shallow end like this bar

poolidea.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just renovated my pool in January 2017. New spa add on new everything! Here's the pics. I went with a contractor because i didn't want to deal with it. Pool contractors are the worst. Choose wisely. I went with pentair equipment and ScreenLogic. Way cool to turn on the spa from your car on the way home!! I also added a sitting platform in the shallow end with an umbrella port. That's a nice add my kids love to sit and play on that platform. Good luck. I'm sure you will do fine. Who did you use?
eb32170ae42b157cc8c4270614bfdacd.jpg
d9a2c971f2d0302a2a3d5da3f5648a03.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.