Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does "pooling" MA make it more efficient at lowering TA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does "pooling" MA make it more efficient at lowering TA?

Hi all,
    I recently started maintaining my pool.
    Iím trying to lower TA because pH is also high and stubborn to lower. TA is currently at 220 (was 240 when I started a week ago).
    It seems like it takes a lot of MA to lower TA in my pool. I have put in almost 2 gallons over one week (pH is currently 7.8, was well over 8+ when I started). When I add MA, Iíve been slowly pouring it in front of return jet. Today I read at several places (not on troublefreepool.com) that when using MA to lower alkalinity it is more efficient if you turn off the pump and pour it in the deep end to let it ďpoolĒ for about an hour before circulating it. Supposedly leaving it concentrated helps lower alkalinity more than pH? I donít like the idea of doing that but does anyone know if there is any truth to using that approach?
    Thanks,
    Casey
    18,000ish gallon outdoor gunite pool & small spa (built in 1970s, re-plastered at least once)
    3HP Pentair Inteleflo VS Pump-011018; Waterway Crystal Water/Aqua Clean Cartridge Filter 570-425; Rheem 267A Gas Heater; Taylor K-2006 for pool chemistry testing

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does "pooling" MA make it more efficient at lowering TA?

It's a myth that's been disproven. It's potentially harmful to the pool surfaces and it should not be done.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

Base,

Are you following this process??? https://www.troublefreepool.com/cont...tal-alkalinity

I find this process works best for me if I do it about every 4 hours for a couple of days...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the feedback and source info. I thought it seemed kind of wacky and risky, but it is surprising (maybe not so much) there are several sources on the internet with URL names that sound reputable suggesting this method (pooling, column...whatever).

Jim, I am following the process you linked, but I have not been home enough over the last week to test and add MA as often as you have done over a couple days. My pool's pH is also not dropping as much as the pool math calculator suggests it should by the volume of MA added. I haven't gotten close to 7.2-7.4 yet and I suspect the high TA (started at 240) may be throwing off the calculation (or I'm just not adding it fast enough as I am doing it in batches).
    18,000ish gallon outdoor gunite pool & small spa (built in 1970s, re-plastered at least once)
    3HP Pentair Inteleflo VS Pump-011018; Waterway Crystal Water/Aqua Clean Cartridge Filter 570-425; Rheem 267A Gas Heater; Taylor K-2006 for pool chemistry testing

6. Back To Top    #6

Why are you doing it in batches?? Just have PoolMath tell you how much to add to get to 7.2 and add that. Keep the pumps running and retest in an hour. Should be spot on if you have your volumes correct?

Do you run a lot of water features that are raising your pH continuously?

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by basecase View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback and source info. I thought it seemed kind of wacky and risky, but it is surprising (maybe not so much) there are several sources on the internet with URL names that sound reputable suggesting this method (pooling, column...whatever).

Jim, I am following the process you linked, but I have not been home enough over the last week to test and add MA as often as you have done over a couple days. My pool's pH is also not dropping as much as the pool math calculator suggests it should by the volume of MA added. I haven't gotten close to 7.2-7.4 yet and I suspect the high TA (started at 240) may be throwing off the calculation (or I'm just not adding it fast enough as I am doing it in batches).
    Check the strength on that acid. I know that Lowe's sells two different strengths in the paint section. The "safe" stuff is half-strength, yet full price.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Check the strength on that acid. I know that Lowe's sells two different strengths in the paint section. The "safe" stuff is half-strength, yet full price.
    That was it! With exception of a small amount of leftovers from an old HASA bottle, I've been using Home Depot MA which is 14.5% I had 31.45% in the calculator. Thanks Richard!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

That was it! With exception of a small amount of leftovers from an old HASA bottle, I've been using Home Depot MA which is 14.5% I had 31.45% in the calculator. Thanks Richard!
    Yup! Lots of us have gotten "burned" on that at least once. Home Depot does sell both concentrations (mine has one pallet on one side of the door, the other pallet on the other side) - double check and ask an employee if you can't find the higher strength. I stopped a lady from making the same mistake last time I was there - she was very grateful.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

10. Back To Top    #10

I see 31.45% MA on the Home Depot website and it's only a couple bucks more then the less than half strength stuff I've been buying (for 2 gallons), but they don't don't sell it within a 100 miles. ...probably a California thing. I can get 31.45% locally. It's just a special trip to the pool store.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a CA thing. :P

Pool store it is!
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

12. Back To Top    #12

I see 31.45% MA on the Home Depot website and it's only a couple bucks more then the less than half strength stuff I've been buying (for 2 gallons), but they don't don't sell it within a 100 miles. ...probably a California thing. I can get 31.45% locally. It's just a special trip to the pool store.
    Plug your zip code in here and find the nearest dealer. You can get full-strength acid and 12.5% bleach in returnable jugs. You've probably seen the orange and yellow crates in the back on pool service trucks. That's it. http://www.hasapool.com/dealer_locator_hasa.php