Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gunite Problem- What's the solution? Please help!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Gunite Problem- What's the solution? Please help!!!

The pool drains are off center. How can this be corrected at this stage?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Gunite Problem- What's the solution? Please help!!!

A jackhammer and reshooting that section after the plumbing has been moved.

Honestly if it were me, I would leave them as is. With surface matched drain covers they will hardly be visible and tearing into your pool shell can create a whole new set of issues if not done correctly.

Another option, since it looks like the stub on the left is centered, is to cancel the right stub and use one of these instead:

-Brian-

Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately we are having an all glass tile pool so the appearance of the pool floor is very important to us. I will look into your drain idea. Anyone else have any suggestions/thoughts? Appreciatively, AJB

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    A jackhammer and reshooting that section after the plumbing has been moved.

Honestly if it were me, I would leave them as is. With surface matched drain covers they will hardly be visible and tearing into your pool shell can create a whole new set of issues if not done correctly.

Another option, since it looks like the stub on the left is centered, is to cancel the right stub and use one of these instead:

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe they can add a third drain on the other side so it is at least symmetrical? Or at least a dummy drain.
    2016 Build: 20x30 15K Gal-IG Gunite, #4 Steel Tanning Ledge, Bubbler, Flagstone Coping, Stamped Concrete Deck, Jump Rock, Rock Waterfall, CLI Majestic Isle Pebble Finish, 3 Multi-Color LED lights, Ozone-DEL Eclipse 10, Empty Inline Tab Feeder, 2 HP Jandy Pro Series ePump with SVRS, 2 Skimmers, 6 Returns, 2 drains, 1 Cleaner Return, Jandy CV Filter 460 SF, Dolphin Nautilus+, iAqualink RS Automation, Borates, Test Kit Taylor k2006

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd vote for the dummy drain over digging out the right one, and if that idea of BDavis' isn't suitable. ANYthing rather than blasting out that gunnite!
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

6. Back To Top    #6

The one in the middle does not look like it is exactly centered. I dont think a third dummy drain would work.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

7. Back To Top    #7

No, you're right- it won't technically work, but it will even up the appearance which would improve aesthetics.
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry for the problems - this doesn't help the situation any, but it drive me nuts the incompetence of the PB and their project managers to look out for things like that. I had my company move drains in the spa and pool and they still look a little wonky - but they were going to leave them.

I'll have to search for a pool build thread from you, if you have one. If not I hope you'll share more with us, that will be an incredible pool of all glass tile - would love to see it progress (and the solution you come up with for the drain.)
    Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

How about getting rid of all the drains? Many pools on the east coast don't have them, I think is is one of those we do it because it has always been done that way kind of things. If you do that they may have need to add is an equalizer port which may pose a challenge at this point but I bet they can come up with a solution.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

10. Back To Top    #10

I would have your PB either eliminate the drain. Its not required on a residential pool in California. Or install the drain Brian suggests.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

11. Back To Top    #11

Aren't the drains for the spa?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

Can I request that you post pictures of your all glass tile pool upon completion.

That. Sounds. Awesome!
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Our PB says that this was intentional since we have a raised pool, we will not see any drains until we get very close to the pool... This is legit but I still may have opted for the 2 centered drains and would have preferred at the very least having the options mentioned prior to the gunite.

14. Back To Top    #14

I would be happy to post pictures but after spending a lot of time figuring it out, I still struggle with uploading pictures to TFP. I think I am at my picture upload limit and when I share a flickr link, all of my personal pictures are accessible, sorry.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Thank you for your support. I saw this and it doesnt work for me. There is no "upload pictures" button even though I am logged in. Thank you though.

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post

17. Back To Top    #17

I like Brian's idea, the dummy, or leave it. No one will care but you, and I promise it won't be that bad. I'd rather it be centered too, but I sincerely think it won't bother you with a little time. I wouldn't want to risk breaking up the shell if it were me. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad, but that would always be a worry in my mind. I hate having a nagging doubt that will sour the whole experience, and cutting the shell would put that in place for me. It can be done, but it will be no small task done right.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

18. Back To Top    #18

Thank you, we will leave the drains in the current positions. There is some logic to not being able to any of the drains when in the main area of the backyard so I'm going to live with that. I appreciate yours and everyone's thoughts/help. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    I like Brian's idea, the dummy, or leave it. No one will care but you, and I promise it won't be that bad. I'd rather it be centered too, but I sincerely think it won't bother you with a little time. I wouldn't want to risk breaking up the shell if it were me. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad, but that would always be a worry in my mind. I hate having a nagging doubt that will sour the whole experience, and cutting the shell would put that in place for me. It can be done, but it will be no small task done right.

19. Back To Top    #19

You can always open a new photo bucket account just for your pool build. A lot do it here and it's easy

current build<--free form gunite 34x21 18k gallons 4ft-7ft deep,Pentair 3HP VSP, wisperflo 2hp, 520 cartridge filter, 400k heater, ez touch 8 with screen logic, ic40 swg. 4ft sheer decent, 2 led deck jets, 5 globrite leds,rock spa waterfall. Mocha travertine deck, noche coping. Tropics blue custom mix with LOTS of beads and shells

20. Back To Top    #20

thank you, I am using photobucket now... works well.