Help understanding what valve is doing

dooger54

Gold Supporter
Apr 21, 2017
Tucson AZ
New user here finally taking control of my pool. I am working at understanding how everything is working in my system. I can't figure out why the valve in the picture below is there. It is between the outlet of my filter and the gas heater. Also right before the Swg and return to the pool. As you can see it is now partially closed. To me it seems that would be restricting flow back to the pool. Help please.

Attachments

• IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 61
There would be less resistance in the path of the bypass than what would be encountered through the heater. It is there to reduce the flow through the heater since some older models were susceptible to damage if they encountered high flows. The back pressure from the heater basically gets dumped to the bypass.

If the valve is fully open, most of the water will bypass the heater. If the valve is fully closed, all of the water will go through the heater. If the valve is partially open, a portion of the flow will go through the heater.

I've got two by pass valves... Do you see a reason why there are two?
33672898370_1d8222b67e_c.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's summer here in Tucson, pool temp up to 88 already. I have my heater turned off, gas valve is off, any reason why I can't move this valve so no water runs through the heater? Seems like there is no reason for water to be circulating through the heater now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.