Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help understanding what valve is doing

1. Back To Top    #1

Help understanding what valve is doing

New user here finally taking control of my pool. I am working at understanding how everything is working in my system. I can't figure out why the valve in the picture below is there. It is between the outlet of my filter and the gas heater. Also right before the Swg and return to the pool. As you can see it is now partially closed. To me it seems that would be restricting flow back to the pool. Help please.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In-Ground Pebble Tec installed 2005/10,000 gallons/Magna Sweep cleaning system/RJ-30 Circupool SWG/Rock Waterfall/Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VS pump/Hayward Swimclear C3025 cartridge filter/Hayward H400IDL2 gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Help understanding what valve is doing

Its a heater bypass so excessive flow isn't directed through the heater.
    -Brian-

Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like it's a bypass to control how much water goes through the heater. You don't want too much or too little flow through the heater.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

But the valve is after the inlet to the heater. How does that help?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In-Ground Pebble Tec installed 2005/10,000 gallons/Magna Sweep cleaning system/RJ-30 Circupool SWG/Rock Waterfall/Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VS pump/Hayward Swimclear C3025 cartridge filter/Hayward H400IDL2 gas heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

There would be less resistance in the path of the bypass than what would be encountered through the heater. It is there to reduce the flow through the heater since some older models were susceptible to damage if they encountered high flows. The back pressure from the heater basically gets dumped to the bypass.
    -Brian-

6. Back To Top    #6

If the valve is fully open, most of the water will bypass the heater. If the valve is fully closed, all of the water will go through the heater. If the valve is partially open, a portion of the flow will go through the heater.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    If the valve is fully open, most of the water will bypass the heater. If the valve is fully closed, all of the water will go through the heater. If the valve is partially open, a portion of the flow will go through the heater.
    ok ,so dumb me, that explanation finally makes sense to me.

8. Back To Top    #8

I've got two by pass valves... Do you see a reason why there are two?
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

You have the ability to completely remove the heater from flow if it ever needed service or for winterizing.
    -Brian-

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    You have the ability to completely remove the heater from flow of it ever needed service or for winterizing.
    That makes sense, thank you.
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

11. Back To Top    #11

It's summer here in Tucson, pool temp up to 88 already. I have my heater turned off, gas valve is off, any reason why I can't move this valve so no water runs through the heater? Seems like there is no reason for water to be circulating through the heater now.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

No reason not to just make sure to open the valve every so often so stagnant water doesn't sit in the all summer.
    -Brian-