Instant Stain

NeedMoreSun

LifeTime Supporter
I don't have current test results yet, but hope someone can point out what possible interactions may have resulted in this. I don't close the pool for the Winter, but other than checking salt now and then I just let it run and verify balance of things before starting to use it again. Yesterday, a month later than last year, I got around to it. The controller and a test strip were both in agreement salt was right at about 2700 and was the 1st thing on my list. I dumped in a bag, and didn't break it up good either so it went in as one big "plop". In the time it took me to grab the brush it had bloomed as it headed to the deep end and a brown cloud. It left a rust colored stain in the vinyl through the path it took :(

I assumed maybe really high PH reacted with metal impurities in the salt, but Ph is 7.4. I don't know what FC is yet, I apparently left the scooper dirty on last use so it's in a cup of vinegar trying to clean it up. It's also too dark and cloudy to get an accurate CYA reading right now. As expected from prior Winter rains TA dropped in half from 50 to around 25 (Color almost held with 2 drops, solid change at 3). With that matching prior Winter Borates should be around 20, CH around 40, and CYA 30. Hardly scientific, but betting is pretty close. I'll certainly get firm numbers when I can. Also have a quick work trip to make :(

In the meantime, am mostly looking for what possibilities there are as opposed to a firm answer since the numbers aren't firm. My high Ph suspicion was obviously not the case. The brown cloud was instant, and it also only stained where it flowed, not the entire pool. It will be a lesson at least to test EVERYTHING, even before just adding salt!!

Anyway, it seemed like a long Winter. Anyone miss me? lol

It was Clorox salt. It's also the 1st time we've ever used it. We usually use Morton. Wife found a ripped and re-taped bag for almost nothing and grabbed it. I did notice that unlike the more granular Morton it was much finer, and almost a powder. Well, other than being in one giant chunk from having been opened, taped, and sit all winter :(

I was going to try vitamin C, and in the end figured that would be the worst case for clean up other than confused why it happened. However, we only had chewable but after you asked I dropped one in to push around with the brush. It not only removes it, but it's almost instant. No 30 seconds involved. Even leaves a little clean track as it tried to slide to the deep end. At least clean up won't be too difficult.

Thanks for the help James. Iron impurities in the salt is actually what I was hoping was the case, but when I expected Ph high to have caused the reaction and it was ok I got confused and a slight irritation turned into worry, lol. I've already told the wife to stick with the Morton we've always used. (She works lawn and garden at Walmart so in charge of grabbing bags when cheap). Looks like some tablets in a nylon or sock tied across end of brush should at least do the trick for clean-up :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks again!!

All is fixed and back to bright blue. Some tablets wrapped in cheese cloth strapped to the end of the brush worked great. However, then I ended up with a glaring "clean" spot and noticed the staining had gone further. Not quite to the other edge of the pool, but visible and slowly faded as it moved away from the initial issue area. I had LPS test for iron and none detected, so diluted in the entire pool I don't think I have any lingering issues, and 90% of my water is from Mother Nature and 64" a year. Sooo, with half the pool being stained to at least some degree I did an AA treatment but just took shortcuts. Not being worried about re-staining I didn't worry about sequesterants, and with Ph at 7.4 already I didn't drop it further. Also didn't worry about neutralizing all chlorine. Spread about a pound of AA and everything is bright again. PH went off the scale low and my TA was already low. Got TA back to 60, Ph to 7.0 but home made aerator running to bring it up. Chlorine still getting utilized but checking it every few hours and close to stable. I only let the AA treatment run before bring levels back for a few hours. Looked like it was done in minutes though.

I think I'm done? Other than getting TA, Ph, and FC where I need them? I still need to do my once a year borates test and addition, but bought boric acid this year instead of the Borax/MA juggle. Being Ph neutral assuming I should hold off on that for a bit and the basics all in line first?

I need to buy some salt and was trying to recall the brand you bought that caused the big stain. While searching for your post again I found yet another....

Clorox salt?

Looks like Clorox salt has been known to cause a few problems, just like the copper issue in those Clorox Xtra Blue products.

I dunno about you but I'm becoming very leery of ALL clorox pool products nowadays.

Maddie :flower:

Yep, other than bleach :) Odd that of three reported cases we are all in Florida though. Anyway, I still have a residual issue :( I "hoped" that while it stained in the areas of high concentration the total level would be ok. The far side of the pool remaining bright blue encouraged me. However, after the AA and all levels back to normal the water turned greenish (assuming iron against blue background) and light staining in the entire pool. I dropped the Ph back to 7.0 and the water itself went clear. Looks like it's time for some sequesterant. The staining isn't obvious to anyone but me now, just not the right blue color it should be. I think I'll wait until Winter and part of our 64 inches of annual rain dilute it some by then and do another AA in the middle of Winter when SWG isn't even working anyway.

Big improvement. Back to looking more like a TFP pool :) That one bag of salt though DID result in entire pool turning green after the AA treatment, until I brought the PH back down, so my iron levels are higher than I had hoped over one bag of salt :( Pic is prior to adding the Jack's Purple Stuff I JUST added though, so will use that through the Summer and do another AA in the middle of Winter. By then Mother Nature should have diluted the iron. I'll bring PH back up in a few days. Is at 7.0 right now.

SOOO, I went from a nasty stain, to all fixed, then a pool-wide precipitation and light staining, and I think back on track. Other than needing to worry about iron for the first time :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.