Help on fiberglass pool coping re install

Apr 23, 2017
Prattville, Al
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Need to install pool coping pavers over top of fiberglass pool coping. 8 years ago I had concrete installer drop concrete down 2" to allow for flagstone rock, width of 12" to edge of pool. But joints around rock came out and I removed all. I want to cover over the fiberglass 4" edge with pavers and then maybe have pavers installed around pool decking. I assume I need to fill in the 2" void with concrete so that it is flush from pool to concrete. They are the same height. I may do pool coping payers of some kind now and later bring in the deck pavers. Or could l do a concrete transition from edge of new coping paver down to existing concrete. Thanks

Re: Help on fiberglass pool coping re install

Welcome to TFP!

I need to see a picture to figure that out. Make sure you leave a gap of about 3/4" between the coping and the deck so the deck and coping can move independently. Put foam backer up to about 1/2"-3/4" to the deck height and fill it with a self leveling polyurethane caulk, like Sikaflex

%5BURL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Goodneighbor/media/IMG_0726_zpsdpuwo8eg.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/Goodneighbor/IMG_0726_zpsdpuwo8eg.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D
here is what I got. What is a nice paver that will cover the fiberglass coping. Then I need suggestions on how to add pavers to new coping. Thanks

If you copy the IMG code in Photobucket to the right of the pic and paste it into your post the image will show up in your thread.

I don't believe you are to cope over the 4" fiberglass cap on the pool.

Is this 4" area the same height as the concrete deck?

Concrete/ Morter will not adhere to fiberglass but in concept a longer paver or stone could sit on top of the fiberglass.

It looks like the pool was designed for the coping or pavers to run up to the edge of the 4" cap... is that how the flagstone was installed?

My take and maybe different after your feedback.

1. Reinstall the flagstone and re-morter the joints.

2. Install pavers around the pool in the indent that would be level with your concrete deck.

3. You could install pavers over your concrete (if its level) and blend into the coping area by installing a mortar bed in the indent to match up to the deck height.

4. Place medium flat river rocks around the pool to fill the void and make it look cool...

Yes I had concrete drop down to inches to allow for the stone. The mortar Joints began to become out and I had to tear it all out. I was hoping to have a paver and also pool coping to cover up the 4 inch fiberglass top. The fiberglass has very small cracks and some fading. I was thinking I would fill in the void concrete flush with the top of the fiberglass. Yes they are the same height. Then maybe find a pool coping maybe 12 inches long and run the pavers on top of the existing concrete to have a uniform look. Yes I believe the issue is the pool coping not popping off of the fiberglass top. Thoughts?

%5BURL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Goodneighbor/media/IMG_0723_zps8j2spmol.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/Goodneighbor/IMG_0723_zps8j2spmol.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Any suggestions on how to install a pool coping over the fiberglass coping. The existing pool coping is even with existing concrete deck. I understand You have to worry about coping paver staying down. How then to tie into a tile or remodel deck paver. Any reason why I should not go ahead and fill in the 2" void with concrete now flush to get read for new paver redo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I would go ahead and pour it flush if you plan on doing flagstone or pavers. I did a similar project and covered my fiberglass pool with flagstone. Here is a link for mine: New pool proj.Flagstoning around (and on) my fiberglass pool

My pool did not quite have as large of a lip as yours. I mortared right over the pool lip up right up the the edge. Before putting down the mortar I covered the cement and pool lip with a cement bonding agent and then I put that same agent on the bottom of the flagstone. I have not had a single popup in the years since the install. If you do this a nice additional upgrade would be to tile right up to the underside of the flagstone or pavers. I assume you are planning to cantilever the pavers? I would. Then the tile will tie right in to the underside of the pavers/flagstone and provide a nice waterproof seal. When I did mine I filled the pool up to overflowing first, found where the water overflows first over the pool and at that spot I ground a 1" channel on the underside of the flagstone right up the the edge where it overhangs the pool if you grid that channel all the way back and keep it from getting filled with mortar, you can make yourself a nice automatic overflow drain.

Yes I would go ahead and pour it flush if you plan on doing flagstone or pavers. I did a similar project and covered my fiberglass pool with flagstone. Here is a link for mine: New pool proj.Flagstoning around (and on) my fiberglass pool

My pool did not quite have as large of a lip as yours. I mortared right over the pool lip up right up the the edge. Before putting down the mortar I covered the cement and pool lip with a cement bonding agent and then I put that same agent on the bottom of the flagstone. I have not had a single popup in the years since the install. If you do this a nice additional upgrade would be to tile right up to the underside of the flagstone or pavers. I assume you are planning to cantilever the pavers? I would. Then the tile will tie right in to the underside of the pavers/flagstone and provide a nice waterproof seal. When I did mine I filled the pool up to overflowing first, found where the water overflows first over the pool and at that spot I ground a 1" channel on the underside of the flagstone right up the the edge where it overhangs the pool if you grid that channel all the way back and keep it from getting filled with mortar, you can make yourself a nice automatic overflow drain.

Thanks for info. I am trying to visualize what the finished looks like. I do like thought of putting in tile at water line up 6" to pool coping. Wouldn't you have to install the wall tile first and then bring the flagstone or stone coping over the wall tile?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about having some stamped and colored concrete laid down in that wide open space and letting it go to the edge in a bull nose fashion? They can make that stuff look like travertine or other stones, brick or various patterns and colors. Amazing stuff these days!

Look down in my siggy line for my pool build- this is my fiberglass pool with bullnose cement run to the edge. I sure woudn't be happy seeing that 4" edge left visable. I didn't know we could put a different coping on when we contracted the pool, but if I ever re-do something we could always add it later.

Maddie :flower:

It would be easier to put the tile on afterwards. You basically drop the water level down to where you want the tile to start and then draw a line all around the pool there. Drop the water some more and then tile around and up to the cantilever. That way any partial tiles pieces that have to be cut will be buried up under the lip. Then you silicon caulk the tile to grout it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.