Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DAY 1 at TFP

1. Back To Top    #1

DAY 1 at TFP

received my test kit and ran the tests yesterday and again this morning to ensure consistent results. Have read the intro articles and run the numbers through the calculator. Calculator indicates adding bleach, baking soda and CYA and drain/replace 35%. However, I'm not sure why the chlorine is not getting into the pool? I filled the chlorinator last night and ran the pump all night. Any help is appreciated.

Results:
    CC - .5
    FC - 0
    Chlorine - 0
    CH - 400
    TA - 90
    CYA - 20
    PH - 7.5
    15K, in-ground w/spa, chlorine, DE filter, pebble sheen plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DAY 1 at TFP

Hello and welcome to TFP! First about the drain. Not sure why? Is your water clean & clear? No cloudiness or algae? Your CH is fine (manageable) and the CYA is actually low (20), so I don't see a need to exchange water. Your TA is fine for now, certainly not low, so I wouldn't raise it at all. PH is great. Chlorine & CYA are your issues right now. Since your pool appears to be a non-SWG pool, raise CYA to about 40 in preparation for summer and balance the FC accordingly as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). Add the bleach ASAP because no FC = algae. It should never be below 3. Be advised we will normally recommend that you stay away from the in-line & tabs. They will increase CYA over the season requiring a drain. You seem to be okay at the moment, but watch it closely. Stick to regular bleach from HEB or Wal-Mart and you'll do just fine with no side-effects.

Great to have yo with us at TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Change your target level for CH to 400 and it shouldn't tell you to drain. No need to drain to lower CH. No need to add baking soda either. Baking soda raise ta and yours is fine. Here are the recommended levels, Pool School - Recommended Levels
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the help. Just so I'm clear, I should be using bleach only and no longer buying/using the chlorine tablets/inline chlorinator. Sorry for the basic questions, just goes against the normal procedures I'm used to!
    15K, in-ground w/spa, chlorine, DE filter, pebble sheen plaster

5. Back To Top    #5

No worries, ask away.

Bleach/liquid chlorine is best for every day chlorinating of your pool. It is fine to use trichlor pucks when you will be away from the pool for a while or when you want to slowly increase your CYA level from time to time.

More here, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

And some more fun reading here,
    ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Getting Started
    TFPC for Beginners
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

If CYA is only 20, whatever chlorine you're adding is probably being destroyed by the sun. Or you have the beginnings of an algae bloom. Which one it is can be easily settled with an overnight loss test using bleach. Shut off the chlorinator so it doesn't skew the results. Here's the reasoning in a nutshell: only 2 things consume chlorine: sunlight, and organics. If you test after the sun goes down and again before it comes up, you've eliminated sunlight as a possibility. So if you lose overnight, it's organics -- algae. That calls for what we call a SLAM. But let's hold off on that one, so I don;t have to type so much. If it held, then it's sunlight. You just need to raise the CYA level and make sure you add enough bleach every day to make up for the losses. Typical loss is 2-3 ppm/day. Less if it's covered, more with intense sun or lots of swimmers.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Beautiful Pool! Welcome to TFP

Crystal
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool