Temporarily re-pumped

Sumo1

Mar 29, 2007
Georgia
When my 2hp pump gave up the ghost a few days ago, I put in its place a 3/4hp pump that wasn't being used. Can someone estimate what kind of turnover rate I'm getting now, please. I haven't done these calculations in a long time. The pool is 9' deep and from main drain vertical axis to the pump is 29 or 30 feet. I'm just trying to know whether to set the timer or just let it run 24/7. If the turnover is adequate, I'll wait until the end of the season to change pumps. Thanks in advance!

Hal

Well, to do it accurately, you would need to get the published pump curve from the manufacturer of the pump and calculate the GPM of the pump based on the Head loss of your system.

Barring all that, you could just WAG it and say most 3/4 hp pumps in most pool produce about 60gpm and you would probably be fairly close.

Now, all you have to know is how many gallons are in your pool and you could estimate how long it would take to turn over your pool.

Thanks, Dave. My pool's about 28000 gal so that gives me a turnover time around 8 hrs. I typically run my pump 10-12 hrs so I don't think I need to change my timer. I had estimated my previous water flow around 90 gpm so instead of getting 2+ turnovers in 12 hrs, I'm now getting closer to 1.5. Does that sound reasonable? I know it's fairly simple math but I can balance my checkbook! :mrgreen:

Hal

Boy, I can sure tell the difference in suction from the 2hp to the 3/4! The skimmer just can't pull in all the dust and small trash on the water surface. Maybe a Pool Devil or similar contraption would make up for the reduced suction. Obviously there's no substitute for cubic inches!! :wink:

Hal

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.