Does a salt water get regular shock when first opened ?

I wonder if the person who told you to "shock" your pool just meant to say "put in enough chlorine to get it up to your desired level so that the SWG can then be turned on and it will maintain that level."

If your FC is low, the fastest way to bring it up to desired levels is just to use bleach. That's liquid chlorine at its best! No bother with other odd pool store products called "shock"..... they also contain other stuff you may not want, y'know?

Bleach, Baby Bleach!!

Hi , we just got it uncovered due to a lot of yard work going on .it is green and some of it may be due to orange dust getting through from yard work . so we should not turn the swg on? this is going to sound really stupid but how do we run the filter without the swg being on ? Thanks

At this point, you will want it clear before starting the SWG. Please fill in your signature so we know your equipment, but typically you either have an off switch if the SWG is a separate unit, or you may just have to turn it down to 0%. Knowing your equipment can help us tell you how. Also, what testing kit do you have? You will need to run the pump for about 30 minutes then post a full set of test results.

I am not sure how to fill in my signature but I can tell you we have an 18x 36 vinyl liner pool with a Hayward super pump and vari flow with a AQR 15 SWG . Not sure if that what you need to know . Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the TF -100 test kit

We put shock in this morning and the pool store guy said we should have used theirs because the Clorox one has copper ,the pool looks much better than it did yesterday. which is a good thing since I overextended my reach and did a header into the 6 ft. end . Yuck . I had also purchased an algaecide for my salt pool but it also has some copper in it .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are 110% against adding copper to your pool in any form. It builds up and stains pools, hair, fingernails, dogs, etc. There is no way to remove copper from the pool except to drain the water. Lots of people on TFP have spent a lot of time and money trying to deal with copper stains in their pools. Much better to never add it in the first place.

Ok, at this point you either have to decide whether you are going to continue listening to the pool store people, or you are going to never step foot in there again and do this the full blown TFP method. Everything they tell/sale you will be in contradiction to what we practice, or at least mess with your chemistry that we are trying to get you to.

We will walk you through every step and tell you the actual why behind everything you are adding, but you can't mix their advice with ours.

Every year when my pool is uncovered it is green and/or rather dirty despite the fact that we generally open it when the temperatures are still cool - this year the water temp was 48F when uncovered. The pool does get shocked and clears after a couple of days and a bit of vaccuming. I generally use Liquid chlorine until the temperature gets warm enough for the SWCG. I measured the FC a couple of days after opening and it was at 11.

Every year when my pool is uncovered it is green and/or rather dirty despite the fact that we generally open it when the temperatures are still cool - this year the water temp was 48F when uncovered. The pool does get shocked and clears after a couple of days and a bit of vaccuming. I generally use Liquid chlorine until the temperature gets warm enough for the SWCG. I measured the FC a couple of days after opening and it was at 11.

Do you close it when the water is cold too, and at SLAM level?

Maddie :flower:

The water would generally be in the 60s or below when it is closed and I think it does get shocked with Chlorine - but I don't do it myself so I am not 100% sure.

Ok, so my question is if I don't set foot in the store again ,where do I buy my chemicals ? The ones at the store ,even the algaecide has a small amount of copper. I am opening up my TF -100 kit .Usually my husband does this but he cant get to it until the weekend .it looks better todaybut needs a good vacuuming . we haven't gotten a robotic cleaner yet but that is in the not to distant future ! so for now just using the old fashioned one but I am having trouble reaching the deep end . They also recommended using a flock to gather the stuff and sink it to the bottom and then vacuum . Thanks

Ok, so my question is if I don't set foot in the store again ,where do I buy my chemicals ?
At Wal-mart or a hardware store. You shouldn't need algaecide. You shouldn't need much in the way of chemicals, hopefully just liquid chlorine, muriatic acid and baking soda. And you shouldn't need chlorine once your SWCG is working properly.

The one thing you may need from a pool store is Cyanuric Acid aka Stabilizer and you need more of that when you have a SWCG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.