Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with Waterline Tile and Pebble Tec! Newbie!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with Waterline Tile and Pebble Tec! Newbie!

Hi All!

I have become addicted to this forum and really enjoy seeing everyone's pools! I am learning so much - but must admit I am a bit overwhelmed!

Looking for advice on our next steps. I am struggling with picking out waterline tile that blends in to the coping or is a contrast. I am also wanting advice on pebble tec. We lives on acreage in the woods, so I want to be able to see the bottom of the pool in case there are creatures, but I also want the pool to have a deep blue color.

Thanks so much!!

Here are some pics:

UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 544 sq feet in ground shotcrete pool, 3.6' to 6' depth, stone coping. Includes: Spa elevated 18 with stacked stone, Concrete Deck
, 18 raised beam with stacked stone Waterfalls on raised beam wall, Stacked stone on firepit side, 4' Firepit, Flagstone steps to firepit area

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with Waterline Tile and Pebble Tec! Newbie!

Welcome to TFP!

Others will weigh in, but you have to narrow it down, and maybe decide after seeing plenty of pics here. Sounds like you're aleeady leaning toward a lighter finish, so stick with those. Eliminate the ones you dont one by one, and you're off! Good luck, and enjoy the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't think I worded my question very well. I apologize. I am wondering if others used waterline tile that blended in with their coping or did they use a contrasting tile? What do y'all think looks better? Any recommendations would be great!!

UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 544 sq feet in ground shotcrete pool, 3.6' to 6' depth, stone coping. Includes: Spa elevated 18 with stacked stone, Concrete Deck
, 18 raised beam with stacked stone Waterfalls on raised beam wall, Stacked stone on firepit side, 4' Firepit, Flagstone steps to firepit area

4. Back To Top    #4

We have black Pebblesheen and seeing the bottom is no issue at all. That is a myth. I didn't have any trouble at all spotting the last water moccasin that got in our pool. We have blue waterline tiles. There are lots of pics in my pool thread, link in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    We have black Pebblesheen and seeing the bottom is no issue at all. That is a myth. I didn't have any trouble at all spotting the last water moccasin that got in our pool. We have blue waterline tiles. There are lots of pics in my pool thread, link in sig.
    Thanks Pooldv! Going to stalk your thread now!

6. Back To Top    #6

Since you have that raised bond beam with natural stone, I would hesitate to go with a contrasting tile. I would be tempted to go with a more natural looking tile that compliments the natural stone.
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh, didn't notice the raised bond beam. We also have raised bond beam with flagstone.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Pooldv, your pool looks great with that color tile! I think your tile works well, I was thinking of more contrasting like mine would not look good with the natural features. IMG_1031.jpg
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh, yes, I see what you mean. Nice pool!
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Do you want bling? Are you adding bling to your plaster? I say get a VERY pretty plaster and go neutral on the waterline tile to compliment the stone.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Kim ... I love reading your comments on other threads and I am so happy to have you comment on mine!!

12. Back To Top    #12

So lets spend some money! Do you want BLING in the plaster? If so get the glass beads..........oh so pretty! I say go for a rich blue. Darker rather than lighter. You will be able to see everything in the pool. There was a black plaster pool a little while back and you could see everything on the bottom with no problem.

I love the blue smurf surf!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Hey Kim! We just finished building our home. It's a rustic farmhouse on acreage. I think the pool should "match" the house right? So a rustic look ... unfortunately I think that means no bling. I love seeing the glass tiles on others pools - it is so beautiful!

I was thinking of going midnight blue but adding a lot of sparkle to get my "bling fix". What do you think? Now - waterline tile. Blend with flagstone coping, go a subtle blue and brown slate look or dark blue and brown?? Help!

14. Back To Top    #14

We had a similar design challenge for our pool, set on a working farm in a rural area. The house is an old farmhouse (circa 1810). We did opt for pebbletec with glass beads, and glass waterline tile in a color called "ice", which is as neutral as glass could be. It is very pale green iridescent glass but when installed just reflects the surrounding colors (pool water and coping). While it sparkles, the overall effect is very subtle. FWIW, we initially had installed slate waterline tile and replaced it because it looked really blah on our pool.

Also, are you planning to install colored LED lights? If so, the colors show up better on light and medium colored pools.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG Gunite 20x40 pool with Pebbletec finish (Tahoe blue with luminous glass in mixed jade); Pentair DE Filter and Pump; Intellibrite LED lights; RayPac 8350 Heat and Cool Heat Pump; NPT Arctic Ice glass tile; Coverstar autocover; Cambridge Renaissance Pavers in Onyx Lite; bluestone coping.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

I went with waterline that blended with the deck and was similar to the coping. I would really prefer contrasting if I had to do it again.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by yankeelawyer View Post
    We had a similar design challenge for our pool, set on a working farm in a rural area. The house is an old farmhouse (circa 1810). We did opt for pebbletec with glass beads, and glass waterline tile in a color called "ice", which is as neutral as glass could be. It is very pale green iridescent glass but when installed just reflects the surrounding colors (pool water and coping). While it sparkles, the overall effect is very subtle. FWIW, we initially had installed slate waterline tile and replaced it because it looked really blah on our pool.

Also, are you planning to install colored LED lights? If so, the colors show up better on light and medium colored pools.
    Wow!! The pool and the setting are stunning!! Thanks for the waterline tile advice - I'm going to take a look at Ice.

We are not doing colored lights - just plain LED.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    I went with waterline that blended with the deck and was similar to the coping. I would really prefer contrasting if I had to do it again.
    Thanks bmore - that is really good to know!

18. Back To Top    #18

We went neutral and smooth. Our PB told us the tiles with texture are harder to keep clean and asked us if we wanted to draw attention to the tile or the pool water. We also went with Caribbean blue Pebble tec. May be lighter than your looking for but it was exactly what we wanted.

Attachment 59831
    Concrete freeform 20x38. 3-7ft depth. 18in raised 7ft round spa with spillway, 25LF of 21 raised stone wall with (1) sheer decent. Jumping rock. Beige travertine bullnose coping and travertine patio. Carribean blue Pebble tec. 6ft tanning ledge with umbrella and 2 bubblers.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by lucas33 View Post
    We went neutral and smooth. Our PB told us the tiles with texture are harder to keep clean and asked us if we wanted to draw attention to the tile or the pool water. We also went with Caribbean blue Pebble tec. May be lighter than your looking for but it was exactly what we wanted.

Attachment 59831
    Beautiful Lucas!!! I love that Caribbean Blue! I'm going to look at that again! Thanks!

20. Back To Top    #20

What do y'all think of this tile with flagstone coping? TOO much of a contrast?

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast