Very small chip in outer edge of new shaft seal...still good/ok to use?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
After waiting for over a week now for my new seal plate and shaft seal to be delivered, I noticed a very small chip on the outer edge of the black side of the shaft seal (the half that has the spring) after I had already went through all the trouble of installing it and attaching the new seal plate to the motor mount plate, so I would like to be able to use it if you guys think it would still be ok. Plus I would like to get my pool water circulating again asap. What do you guys think? Maybe I'm being a bit too picky. I REALLY don't feel like having to return it and wait for another one, but I will if I have to.

Looks good to me, this side seats against the ceramic side of seal. That's a good job though finding this minor defect. That's something I love about this forum, it never hurts to ask.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

So the white ceramic face on the other half presses up against the black side of the one in picture or does the white ceramic seat inside in that inner circle groove (I noticed the white ceramic half is sitting in a black rubberish insert)? With both faces spinning against each other (isn't that how it works?), you don't think it could catch in that area and chip off more?

On the right is the leaking seal that I just replaced. The new seal is on the left. The pump is 8 months old, and was off & drained from the end of October to the first week of April. It has never run dry. It started leaking after I opened a couple of weeks back. These things are pretty unforgiving. If you do use the chipped seal and it holds, I wouldn't count on it having a long life.

Where did you order from? Mine was on Amazon Prime with 2 day shipping.

IMG_20170420_184611549.jpg

On the right is the leaking seal that I just replaced. The new seal is on the left. The pump is 8 months old, and was off & drained from the end of October to the first week of April. It has never run dry. It started leaking after I opened a couple of weeks back. These things are pretty unforgiving. If you do use the chipped seal and it holds, I wouldn't count on it having a long life.

Where did you order from? Mine was on Amazon Prime with 2 day shipping.

View attachment 59722

That's what my main concern is, they seem to be pretty fragile. Basically I'm worried now that the integrity of the seal may be compromised therefore shortening the life of the seal. Yes I ordered it off of Amazon. I think I may just call the company and let them know of the defect. What you think?

Also, do you think I would be able to get the seal out (by pulling it) without having to take apart the seal plate from the motor mount plate again (that was a PIA)?

Amazon is pretty great about returns. I've had a few over the years, and usually they ship a replacement at no charge, and give you plenty of time to return the defective part before they charge you for the 2nd one. For defective stuff I've always received a free return label as well.

Couldn't tell you about pulling the seal. On mine (Jandy epump) I did pull the motor off of the seal plate which popped the carbon side of the seal off of the shaft, and I then was able to punch out the ceramic from behind with a socket. Not sure if pulling on it from the front would break something or not...

Amazon is pretty great about returns. I've had a few over the years, and usually they ship a replacement at no charge, and give you plenty of time to return the defective part before they charge you for the 2nd one. For defective stuff I've always received a free return label as well.

Couldn't tell you about pulling the seal. On mine (Jandy epump) I did pull the motor off of the seal plate which popped the carbon side of the seal off of the shaft, and I then was able to punch out the ceramic from behind with a socket. Not sure if pulling on it from the front would break something or not...

Well I just emailed the company (MyPoolYardCOM) to explain the defect and asked them to resolve the issue...waiting to hear back from them.

Any damage to either seal face is reason enough not to use the seal. If you received it in that condition they should be replacing it.

CJadamec, the 2 seals were just thrown in the shipping box free to move about during shipping. This seal usually comes in a very small box and the 2 halves are secured. They weren't even wrapped up for protection! I contacted the seller (MyPoolYard.COM) who was VERY RUDE and told me that I needed to call Amazon to resolve the issue because I bought it from them and acted crazy when I told him that I really bought it from them (MyPoolYard.COM) because they were the 3rd party seller of the item. He hung up the phone on me afterwards! After trying to resolve the issue with them I called Amazon customer service who were VERY HELPFUL and issued a full refund and sent a complaint for this seller to their investigation team who will be calling me back.

Anyways, do you think i will be able to get/pull the seal out of the seal plate without having to take the plate off from the motor again?

Also, when I get the damaged seal out and I put the new one in, would a small bead of silicone caulk be ok to put under the metal lip of the seal and then push it into place? Or is there no need for this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The spring holds the seal in place I wouldn't put anything on the seal that it didn't come out of the box with. I hate dealing with bad customer service like that. I don't know if you need to take the plate off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.