Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Start SLAM now or wait for filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Start SLAM now or wait for filter?

Just opened the pool today to find a nice swamp under the cover . Unfortunately I ordered the wrong filter grid (DE filter) over the winter, so I have to wait until Wednesday for the right one to arrive. Is it worth starting my SLAM tomorrow, vacuuming the crud on the bottom to waste and then running the pump on recirculate? Or should I just until Wednesday when I can get the filter set up?
    22,500 gallon in ground pool with vinyl liner. DE filter. Taylor K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Start SLAM now or wait for filter?

Is it worth starting my SLAM tomorrow, vacuuming the crud on the bottom to waste and then running the pump on recirculate?
    I would say to start the process. You definitely can sweep and stir things up and vacuum to waste to bulk stuff. Running on recirculate shouldn't hurt anything. As for chemicals, you could adjust pH to 7.2, validate CYA, and begin to increase FC to the SLAM level. Of course you won't be able to filter-out any dead stuff yet, but it will help you get a leg-up on things for when the grid(s) arrive. Also make sure you have enough reagents in the FAS-DPD portion of your K-2006 to last for the SLAM. Best of luck.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Getting the crud off the bottom is gonna have to happen either way. I'd at least do that, let it settle and give it one more shot to get that out of the way.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Vacuum to waste first. It will save on bleach. Then proceed on recirculate until you can get a filter in there. That algae is growing while I type. Get in there and kill it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

We can't use our filter right now for various reasons so we have 2 immersible pumps circulating the water with bleach until we can get the filter hooked up. Maybe that might work.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (25mil expandable vinyl liner) ~11,000 gals. Deep end main drain. SkimLine Deluxe Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. Added Salt and Borates. No longer 'pool stored' 7 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.