D'oh!

Philo

Oct 8, 2015
San Diego, Ca.
I'm not sure how the water flows through a DE filter.....

I'm guessing the dirty water comes from the pump to the main canister. Then, in the canister, the dirty water pass through the DE layer, through the grid fabric, and then there must be a plastic tube with holes sandwiched in the grid fabric to move the clean water to the top of the manifold where it is collected and returned to the pool?

Can this be right?:confused:

Philo,

Everything you said was correct except the water does not pass through the grids.. It passes through the DE and into the center of the grids, which are connected to the top manifold. The water then exits the filter as clean as it is going to be..

Just guessing here, but if DE is getting back into the pool then most likely, one or more of the grids have tears or holes in them..

Jim R.

Philo,

Everything you said was correct except the water does not pass through the grids.. It passes through the DE and into the center of the grids, which are connected to the top manifold. The water then exits the filter as clean as it is going to be..

Just guessing here, but if DE is getting back into the pool then most likely, one or more of the grids have tears or holes in them..

Jim R.

So far so good, but how does the water get from the center of the grid to the top manifold? Holes in a plastic pipe?

So far so good, but how does the water get from the center of the grid to the top manifold? Holes in a plastic pipe?
The grid is a skeletal frame covered with fabric and at one end there's a nipple that plugs into the manifold. You can see it clearly here. That little piece of pipe sticking out the bottom. It's just a friction fit.
P11_zps5f3b8007.jpg

Maybe this page will help you: Cleaning a DE Filter

During filter mode, water flows into the filter housing and passes around and through the grids. Water movement is "outside thru inwards" to each grid before being returned to the pool. That way water is cleaned and pushes the DE against the outside of each grid as it passes through them. During backwash, it's the opposite. Water flows directly "into" the grids themselves through that nipple fitting, moving water "inside-outward" of each grid. This also releases some of the DE clinging to the outside of each grid to clean the grids during backwash. That's also why a DE recharge is required after backwash.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just took one apart.....
The water flows:
* Through the DE
* Through the first layer of fabric mesh
* The now clean water flows into the interior of the grid system
* Up the plastic vertical support via numerous open slots all along the support post
* Into the manifold
* Out of the filter and back into the pool

I think......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.