New Intex pool filling up

Mar 4, 2009
Waxahachie, Texas
We put our pool up last night and are in the process of filling it up. I've read pool school and am still a little confused about what to do about the water at first. I have a very simple water test kit that was bought from Walmart two years ago. Can I use this for initial tests? I plan to buy one of the test kits that are recommended but it won't get here before my 7 year old wants to get in the pool. He wants to do that now and its only got about 18" in there. Is there any problem with letting him in today before adding any chemicals?

I plan to take a water sample to our local store and ask them to give me the numbers in the results so that I can use the pool calculator. Just curious about what products to have on hand. We have chlorine tablets and at least one package of shock also from 2 years ago, should we use these for now?

The pool went up fine, its very nicely constructed, but our ladder came without a landing. All of the photos I've seen have a ladder with a landing, but this one doesn't. I'm not happy about that, because it makes getting in the pool difficult. Right now, that's my only gripe besides an excited 7 year old waking me up and begging me to come outside with him.

Re: New Intex pool filling up- tested water with 3 way test

Just tested my water using the 3 way Walmart test kit, Cl is between 1-2, br is about 2, ph is about 7.8

Are these safe levels, do I need to add anything today? If I add Chlorine, how long before we can use the water. I'm going to go see if I can get the water tested, but it will be later today.

Thanks,

bromine (br) isn't in your pool. those are safe, though the ph is getting up there. wait about 30mins with the pump running if you add chlorine. the main issue is not having any cya/stabilizer, plus with use the chlorine is going to burn off quickly. then you'll get to 0 and need to shock. and the other thing is that test may be too old to be giving accurate results. today is fine, everyone fills up kiddie pools with the hose without problems. but starting tomorrow/this evening you will start having problems without chlorine/bleach and you'll definitely need cya and a good test kit.

Remember too, that this is a small pool and 1,500 gallons - if you do hit problems, it may be easier for you to just drain and refill.

You need to add enough chlorine each day to maintain a 2ppm residual for swimming, be diligent, especially until you get some CYA in the pool.

Hi Susan,

You may want to use dichlor for your chlorine source in the beginning as it will also add CYA.
When you reach the CYA level you want, you could then just switch to bleach.

There is more info in Pool School :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.