Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Splicing pool light wire - Not underground

1. Back To Top    #1

Splicing pool light wire - Not underground

I am aware that the run should be one piece all the way to the panel or junction box, but should I be able to splice the pool light wire that comes out of the conduit (above ground). It is a little short. Also it doesn't mention a gauge. Is it 12 gauge?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Splicing pool light wire - Not underground

You should have an isolation j-box right where the conduit comes out of the ground and there you can splice wires together. The conduit should not run all the way to the pad junction box.

How to Build a Pool: Installing the Underwater Pool Light
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you show us a picture of what you want to do.

There are strict requirements on pool light junction boxes that you don't want to violate. That includes splicing the light cord
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

I do not have a junction box. It goes directly from the pool to the pool distribution control panel. After the wire got pulled through there is just about 2 inches left of cord.

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't believe that is to code.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

The newer led nicheless dont have a traditional JB, they are ordered with up to 150 feet of cable to get to the pad. They just finished my install and the electrical installer had to measure the conduit run so the PB could order the correct light.
    Pool: 14,000-gal IG
    Filter: Pentair Sand Dollar, Pump: Pentair Superflo VS
    Automation: Pentair EasyTouch w/ Autelis, Lighting:Globrite
    Pentair SWG IC20, Prowler 820, K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

If it's line(120) voltage it should go to a j box usually called a deck box. If it's low voltage, it does not require a deck box, just a conduit either back to the panel/transformer or at least 5' away from the pool. That's why they come with the precut lengths 100', etc

17,000 gal 20' x 34' Polymer freeform pool, All Hayward products: Aqua plus 16v w/ SWG & Aqua connect, Summit 140k btu heat pump, Tristar VSP 1.85HP, 1 Universal Colorlogic light, 1 320 Colorlogic light, 1 4' lighted Sheer Descent, 2 Pentair Magic Bowls

8. Back To Top    #8

Splicing pool light wire - Not underground

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    You should have an isolation j-box right where the conduit comes out of the ground and there you can splice wires together. The conduit should not run all the way to the pad junction box.

That URL didn't work for me,

Weird. Neither did mine.
    Meh
    poolproducts.com/blog/how-to-build-a-pool-installing-the-underwater-pool-light
    45,000 gallon (18x49) in ground plaster in Houston. [Gallery]
    2HP Hayward Northstar Pump, Hayward DE 6020 (60sqft) filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair SuperFlo 1HP -340038 water feature/fountain pump
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 w wireless remote, Hayward TigerShark QC, & Taylor 2006c

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok there is a bunch of stuff in this thread that is misleading and really does not address the OPs question.

First you may not splice a cord from a pool light fixture. It must terminate in either a listed junction box or a listed enclosure that meets the requirements of NEC 680.24 . See NEC 680.23(B)(2)

You don't have to have to terminate the light cord in a listed junction box but the terminating enclosure must meet specific requirements.

It doesn't matter if it's 120 or low voltage. Wet niche lights and nicheless lights require either a junction box or conforming listed enclosure for cord termination. NEC 680.23(B)(2). If it comes from the pool shell it must be in conduit leading to a junction box or equivalent. NEC 680. 24(A) covers junction boxes and (B) covers other enclosures ( a sub panel). The rest of 680.24 has additional requirements for junction boxes and enclosures acting as junction boxes.

Low voltage requires a j box or a listed enclosure meeting the requirements of NEC 680.24

And not to blunt about it but that link is just flat wrong. I confuses bonding and grounding. And the description of installing a light in a liner pool is just bizarre. I could rant on.

End of rant
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall