Hot Start or Follow Wet Edge Guide??

TxBwana

Silver Supporter
Mar 23, 2017
Plano, TX
Well, the Wet Edge plasterer just left. He said to do a hot start and recommended adding 4 bottles of MA for my ~15,000 gallon pool/spa.
I am the one responsible for start up.

This contradicts what Wet Edge specifies. http://www.wetedgetechnologies.com/files/28_Start_Up_Instructions.pdf

Which should I do?

I want my Wet Edge warranty to be valid.... plasterer added sequestrant. Going to start brushing as soon as they can fix the switch today and get me power to my aqualink so I can start my pump.

What do you guys think?

Oh, as per my sig, I've got Wet Edge Prism Matrix in Constellation.

Going out to test the water with my TF100 kit now.

Not a fan of hot starts at all. I would follow that guide before I did a hot start. I don't know how involved you want to get, or what your makeup Chemistry is, but there is a bicarb startup option. Sorry you didnt get answered yet, hopefully you check in soon and let us know.

Thanks, we live in an area that has slightly alkaline water. When I tested it after filling, it had a calcium hardness of 225, ph of 8.2, total alkalinity of about 100. After reading a bit more about hot starts I decided to do exactly as Wet Edge tells you to since they are who is giving the warranty. So I brushed twice today and adjusted the PH downward. Will check in the morning to see how much MA to add. I think hot starts are for people who don't want to do the brushing and test twice daily, etc. I would rather do that than degrade my finish by dumping a ton of acid in my pool. It's no big deal to me to brush the pool and test. Seems like Wet Edge wants you to follow the Traditional Start Up.

Thanks, Patrick!

PoolDV, I didn't like what I read about hot starts... and I'm so glad that I decided to go with the Traditional Start that Wet Edge says to do. The pool is already looking good, not that much plaster dust, color is bluer every day, and the water is really clear. Plus, it hasn't been that hard to keep the Ph level correct. I read where a hot start can make you have problems with the ph rising for a year or more because the acid softens the plaster.

Pool isn't new, but it feels like it is with the new finish. I would have never picked a white finish like the people who built it, and would have made it deeper to keep the water coolor here in Texas. But it was already here and it was a lot cheaper to buy a house with a pool than put one in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.