Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: NO CYA, How do I SLAM???

1. Back To Top    #1

NO CYA, How do I SLAM???

Good Morning TFP!

Thank you in advance for your help.

I have a TF-100 kit. I have opened my pool myself - I am up and running. I, unfortunately, got pool stored. I have taken over myself and need a little help to get a SLAM started.

Here is my situation:

water is cloudy, ever so slightly a hue of greenish-blue.
    pump is running 24/7

FC - 2.5
    cc - 1
    TA 70
    CYA - 0 - a big fat ZERO!!

What is the best/most efficient way to dose the stabilizer so that I can SLAM ASAP.

I am thinking of raising my CYA to 30 for the SLAM ...
    15,000 gal, IG vinyl,DE Janet sftm filter, jandy pro valuable speed pump, 2015, jandy aquaflow SWG, Dolphin robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: NO CYA, How do I SLAM???

Welcome to TFP!

I agree with your thought. Add enough CYA to target 30ppm and then start the SLAM. Otherwise the sun is going to destroy the FC too fast.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am thinking of investing in the liquid stabilizer - is that worth it? Otherwise, do I have to have to wait for the granules to dissolve before I start adding chlorine?
    15,000 gal, IG vinyl,DE Janet sftm filter, jandy pro valuable speed pump, 2015, jandy aquaflow SWG, Dolphin robot

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bjenjennifer View Post
    I am thinking of investing in the liquid stabilizer - is that worth it? Otherwise, do I have to have to wait for the granules to dissolve before I start adding chlorine?
    No and no.

If you set the sockfull of stabilizer in the skimmer or in front of a return so there's a constant flow of water, it will all be dissolved within a day, most of the time. Just assume it's all there when you calculate the FC dose.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome!! Thank you so much - I am off to SLAM!!