Aeration revisited

Aug 1, 2016
Newberry, FL
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I read somewhere on the forum that aeration wasn't good for the water chemistry. I think the poster said "no waterfalls or sprinklers because of the aeration" I can't find anything like that and I searched the forum. The reason I'm asking is because my return jet is about an inch above the water so I get a good deal of aeration. That's easily fixable, I can just raise the level of the pool water if needed. So is aeration an issue?

[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Ok, I have found some old posts that indicate aeration will increase the pH.(I read the posts, understand the chemistry: ) Since the posts are many years old I'm starting a new thread. Is this aeration/ph+ going to be just as relevant with above ground pools that don't have the concrete or plaster siding?
Thank you again for helping out a newbie.
btw how long for my [/FONT]:cool: TF 100 test kit to get here?[/FONT]

The type of pool doesn't matter. Aeration is aeration. It WILL raise PH. In your case, it's not like you have a feature you can turn off and on and run occasionally and deal with. I'd get that return jet under water!

The water doesn't care what type of pool it's in, pH will rise with aeration. Why is that a problem? You'll be chasing the pH with acid all the time, and each time you add acid to lower pH you also lower TA, and at some point you might need to add baking soda to raise it again. Just more fussing you don't need. We're about trouble-free, here. Minimal work and expense. The other problem is that while you don't need to worry about concrete etching, you are still at risk of scaling, even in a vinyl pool. and in a vinyl pool, you can't get aggressive with a steel brush to loosen it. So keep the pH in range.

Lizard,

We often use the aeration to help adjust the TA level. We add Muriatic Acid to lower both TA and pH and then use aeration to bring the pH back into range.

If you have constant aeration, as woodyp has said, your pH will constantly increase.

Good job on getting the TF-100, a great test kit.... :goodjob:

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Lizard,

We often use the aeration to help adjust the TA level. We add Muriatic Acid to lower both TA and pH and then use aeration to bring the pH back into range.

If you have constant aeration, as woodyp has said, your pH will constantly increase.

Good job on getting the TF-100, a great test kit.... :goodjob:

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
I like that...using some of those "provided by nature" chemicals instead of buying them :rolleyes: and this constant aeration explains my ph issues. So 1 down ? problems to go:confused: lol. Now that I've ordered the test kit I am really anxious for it to get here...I wanna solve ALL the problems...NOW.
Thanks again everyone: it feels good to be gaining ground. We're looking pretty

Ok, gotcha :) Jet now underwater and aeration eliminated. This will help greatly: One step at a time, slowly but surely Im getting it together and plan on this summer being more relaxation and less work with the pool.
Oh, yeah. Once you start doing, it will click and you'll be amazed at how really easy it is. You'll get to a point where you can predict your test results before the first drop leaves the bottle and you'll be right on every time.

It wont be any be any work at all, and just wait. The Chemistry will get so boring, you'll start thinking of ways to create a little pool chemistry drama...or start nerding out by dosing this and that, tweaking things to the inth degree. :D

Ok.....excuse my ignorance. How do you cool an above ground pool if you are not using aeration? My pool is at 95 degrees today. Our night temps are still in the upper 90s while daytime is over 110. This pool feels like warm bath water. We can not enjoy it at this point. So I start looking for ideas for DIY aeration (above ground pool) and I came across this thread and several others advising against aeration.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So beyond the obvious - having to chase the PH and alkalinity - there isn't a reason not to use aeration if you're willing to do the chasing. Right? I'm in the Phoenix area, where it was a lovely 120 degrees today. At 7:30 in the evening we are still sitting at 114 and with any luck it will drop below 100 for an overnight low. Most of my friends now have bath water pools that are too warm to swim in. We use an Intex fountain on the side of our pool. It breaks up almost the whole surface of the pool. I think we've left the pump on just a little too long lately, because this afternoon our water was sitting at 76 degrees! I will take that over 95 degree water any day though.

Diana

I am super jealous Diana! 95 degree water is killing me. I have a summer escapes pool and last night tried just turning the return jet upward to aerate. I did manage to get the pool down to about 90. But after my husband turned the pump off this morning it was back up to 94 by noon. I wonder how difficult it would be to rig the intex fountain to work on my Summer Escapes pool.

JennMary, I'm guessing it wouldn't be difficult at all. It is a simple set up. The fountain just clips to the top rail of the pool, and we screwed the hose that should go to the return directly into the fountain. I don't know what size the hoses are on the summer escapes pool, but I'm sure it would be easy to find an adapter that would fit Intex products. I guess the fountains must have gotten really popular this year too. We bought ours a couple of years ago for $25 at Walmart and now Amazon is selling them for $90. It really does work well though. We've had record breaking heat in Phoenix the past few days. 120 yesterday and 117 today with lows not much below a hundred and my pool is almost too cold to enjoy. It also puts out a pretty little light show at night. :)

- - - Updated - - -

JennMary, here's a link to the fountain on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Multi-Color-Fountain-Above-Ground/dp/B015DXOJBE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498102009&sr=8-1&keywords=intex+fountain

So beyond the obvious - having to chase the PH and alkalinity - there isn't a reason not to use aeration if you're willing to do the chasing. Right? I'm in the Phoenix area, where it was a lovely 120 degrees today. At 7:30 in the evening we are still sitting at 114 and with any luck it will drop below 100 for an overnight low. Most of my friends now have bath water pools that are too warm to swim in. We use an Intex fountain on the side of our pool. It breaks up almost the whole surface of the pool. I think we've left the pump on just a little too long lately, because this afternoon our water was sitting at 76 degrees! I will take that over 95 degree water any day though.

Diana

Nope, nothing wrong with it. In fact, many people in hot areas such as yours built their own pool coolers, devices they stick in the return that spray as much surface area as possible, for maximum cooling. There are a number of threads on it. Its just a matter of knowing the impact of everyting you do to your pool. Spraying a fountain will cool your pool down, and will raise your pH. Addiing acid will lower your pH, but will also lower your TA, a lower TA will cause your pH to move more. but you can add TA by adding baking soda. It's all fixable and easily managed, its just a matter of knowing the cause and effect of various things on your pool water.

As an aside - I wish I had your problem, with full sun and my solar cover on all day, my water is just about 70 right now.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.