Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Retaining Wall Cleaning

1. Back To Top    #1

Retaining Wall Cleaning

Is there a TPF type method for cleaning retaining walls and flagstone?

I have a power washer and could use simple green or bleach but I'm hoping there is some magic formula like sodium bicarbonate and vinegar!

26,000 gal / in-ground SWG (Hayward T-CELL-15) / Blue Granite PebbleSheen / 2hp WhisperFlo pumps (main), 1.5hp WhisperFlo pump (waterfall) / Pentair DE filter / AquaLogic control / Polaris cleaner aka "Trackie" / Dallas, TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Retaining Wall Cleaning

Those two things will react and neutralize each other. Is it the Green you are trying to remove? If so, I would soak with diluted bleach to kill it, then and rinse/powerwash it off.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Oxyclean and a pressure washer worked great!

26,000 gal / in-ground SWG (Hayward T-CELL-15) / Blue Granite PebbleSheen / 2hp WhisperFlo pumps (main), 1.5hp WhisperFlo pump (waterfall) / Pentair DE filter / AquaLogic control / Polaris cleaner aka "Trackie" / Dallas, TX

4. Back To Top    #4

Oxyclean is a mixture of sodium percarbonate, sodium carbonate and some perfumes/etc. The percarbonate supplies the peroxide which is a bleaching/oxidizing agent and will definitely kill that moss (chlorine bleach works better). But here's the kicker....it's going to grow back. You need to kill it really good (*cough* *cough* bleach! *cough* *cough*) and then, you need to seal the stone. If you don't seal the stone, the moss will simply grow back again. But, as long as you don't mind the annual cleaning, you can leave it as-is....

*cough* *cough* ... use bleach .... *cough* *cough* .... dang pollen allergies.....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

I power washed it too. Next year bleach!