7 inches of rain in Tulsa, OK - what do i do

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
We have been having crazy rain here. This morning my pool was at 3/4" below the skimmer line because I am trying to test for a possible leak.

I just measured and it is 7" above where it was this morning and about 2 inches from the top of my pool.

my questions are:
1. should i let some water out of my poo and if so how much?
2. this will obviously mess with the chemical balance in my pool, what should i be on the lookout for?

thanks, i am a new pool owner and dont kniw what to do with all this rain.

We have been having crazy rain here. This morning my pool was at 3/4" below the skimmer line because I am trying to test for a possible leak.

I just measured and it is 7" above where it was this morning and about 2 inches from the top of my pool.

my questions are:
1. should i let some water out of my poo and if so how much?
2. this will obviously mess with the chemical balance in my pool, what should i be on the lookout for?

thanks, i am a new pool owner and dont kniw what to do with all this rain.

We have gotten almost four inches today here in NWA. I have dumped water three times today and kept my filter running. I am a little cloudy tonight so I will keep the filter going until it clears. I will test and re-balance everything in the morning.

It is still coming down like crazy here so other than keeping ahead of the water there isn't much else I can do until it stops.

Yes, you need to drain water. Enough to leave room for the expected rainfall until you can do it again. If you let the water get to the top of the tiles, it could find its way behind the plaster or loosen grout, maybe even wash out beneath the deck. It's just plain bad all around.

Whatever percentage you replaced with rainwater, figure you'll have lost about that much FC, CYA, TA, and CH, since rainwater has none of that. pH could go either way, but usually it goes up from aeration from the raindrops pelting the surface. Once the rain is gone, rebalancing should be no big deal, unless you also got massive amounts of debris with the storm.

I'm in the same boat neighbor!! I drained some water before I left for work this morning around 6am, my husband drained some this afternoon and I drained a bunch more when I got home from work at 7:30. It's STILL RAINING

It looks like the rain is FINALLY moving out for all of us.

I bought all a bunch of new planters for around the pool and had a bale of professional potting mix that is a couple of years old. It was so dry and hard that I knew it would take a lot to hydrate. I loaded up the planters yesterday in anticipation of the rain and I checked them tonight and they looking good:)

2. this will obviously mess with the chemical balance in my pool, what should i be on the lookout for

lookout out for any runoff making its way into the pool. Make sure your equipment pad isn't at risk of being submerged, specifically electrical equipment. Its weather protected but not waterproof.

Any time you have any significant additions of water (from rain or refills) you should run a full panel of tests. You may find that there was no harm done or even helped, but you wont know that until you test.

You may want to book a room on the closest Ark...:swim:

Good luck

Here in Edmond, we got about 6". Pool was sparkling yesterday with FC around 6 and today after draining twice which is always fun in the pouring rain, I was down to about 1.5. I had a bag of shock I threw in to get the chlorine back up and I also added about a 1/2 gallon of bleach.

Now, I'm back to 7 FC, 0 CC, 8.0 PH, TA 200ppm, CH 300, and CYA 55. I figure I'll add about two gallons of acid which should bring the PH down to where I want it and also lower the TA at the same time.

Don't freak out, just add some chlorine, keep your pump running until the cloudiness is gone, and try not to worry. You're not going to have a green swamp that fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.