Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 7 inches of rain in Tulsa, OK - what do i do

1. Back To Top    #1

7 inches of rain in Tulsa, OK - what do i do

We have been having crazy rain here. This morning my pool was at 3/4" below the skimmer line because I am trying to test for a possible leak.

I just measured and it is 7" above where it was this morning and about 2 inches from the top of my pool.

my questions are:
    1. should i let some water out of my poo and if so how much?
    2. this will obviously mess with the chemical balance in my pool, what should i be on the lookout for?

thanks, i am a new pool owner and dont kniw what to do with all this rain.
    Tulsa, OK,Gunite inground pool - lagoon finish - 20,000 gallons
    Hot tub in one corner that is raised about 3 feet and has two spillovers into the pool
    Small side pool with two pipes that jet up water and has two spillovers into the pool
    Has a sundeck at the front

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 7 inches of rain in Tulsa, OK - what do i do

Quote Originally Posted by tagteamcomputing View Post
    We have been having crazy rain here. This morning my pool was at 3/4" below the skimmer line because I am trying to test for a possible leak.

I just measured and it is 7" above where it was this morning and about 2 inches from the top of my pool.

my questions are:
    1. should i let some water out of my poo and if so how much?
    2. this will obviously mess with the chemical balance in my pool, what should i be on the lookout for?

thanks, i am a new pool owner and dont kniw what to do with all this rain.
    We have gotten almost four inches today here in NWA. I have dumped water three times today and kept my filter running. I am a little cloudy tonight so I will keep the filter going until it clears. I will test and re-balance everything in the morning.

It is still coming down like crazy here so other than keeping ahead of the water there isn't much else I can do until it stops.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s300i robot, Raypak 406k Heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, you need to drain water. Enough to leave room for the expected rainfall until you can do it again. If you let the water get to the top of the tiles, it could find its way behind the plaster or loosen grout, maybe even wash out beneath the deck. It's just plain bad all around.

Whatever percentage you replaced with rainwater, figure you'll have lost about that much FC, CYA, TA, and CH, since rainwater has none of that. pH could go either way, but usually it goes up from aeration from the raindrops pelting the surface. Once the rain is gone, rebalancing should be no big deal, unless you also got massive amounts of debris with the storm.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I'm in the same boat neighbor!! I drained some water before I left for work this morning around 6am, my husband drained some this afternoon and I drained a bunch more when I got home from work at 7:30. It's STILL RAINING
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

5. Back To Top    #5

It looks like the rain is FINALLY moving out for all of us.

I bought all a bunch of new planters for around the pool and had a bale of professional potting mix that is a couple of years old. It was so dry and hard that I knew it would take a lot to hydrate. I loaded up the planters yesterday in anticipation of the rain and I checked them tonight and they looking good
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s300i robot, Raypak 406k Heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by tagteamcomputing View Post
    2. this will obviously mess with the chemical balance in my pool, what should i be on the lookout for
    lookout out for any runoff making its way into the pool. Make sure your equipment pad isn't at risk of being submerged, specifically electrical equipment. Its weather protected but not waterproof.

Any time you have any significant additions of water (from rain or refills) you should run a full panel of tests. You may find that there was no harm done or even helped, but you wont know that until you test.

You may want to book a room on the closest Ark...

Good luck

7. Back To Top    #7

Here in Edmond, we got about 6". Pool was sparkling yesterday with FC around 6 and today after draining twice which is always fun in the pouring rain, I was down to about 1.5. I had a bag of shock I threw in to get the chlorine back up and I also added about a 1/2 gallon of bleach.

Now, I'm back to 7 FC, 0 CC, 8.0 PH, TA 200ppm, CH 300, and CYA 55. I figure I'll add about two gallons of acid which should bring the PH down to where I want it and also lower the TA at the same time.

Don't freak out, just add some chlorine, keep your pump running until the cloudiness is gone, and try not to worry. You're not going to have a green swamp that fast.
    24,000 Gallon In-Ground Plaster
    Pentair DE 48sf Filter
    Hayward Superpump
    Hayward Shark Robot

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Please use PoolMath to determine the proper amount of Chema to add. Guessing won't help you in the long run.