Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing new seal plate, but ran into a problem with motor mount plate

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing new seal plate, but ran into a problem with motor mount plate

I was getting ready to change out my old seal plate and install a new one. Problem is...my motor mount plate threads are corroded away. I was able to get the bolts out, but after soaking/cleaning the threads with CLR, I realized the threads were basically corroded away (see red arrows). I think I can get the bolts through the holes and then threaded into the seal plate, but they won't be threaded through the motor mount holes (just pushed through). What should I do now? I looked around but couldn't fine a replacement motor mount plate plus it looks like I would have to take the whole motor apart to change out that plate. Do you guys think it would hold even the the threads are gone?
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin S200 Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installing new seal plate, but ran into a problem with motor mount plate

Is there room to put a nut on the backside? That would be simplest.

Next up is a helicoil. The hole gets enlarged and rethreaded to a larger size and then an insert goes in, bringing it back to what it was.

I stand corrected!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

You don't think it would work if I just got the bolts through the motor mount plate and then threaded them into the seal plate grommets and tightened them up good?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Is there room to put a nut on the backside? That would be simplest.

Next up is a helicoil. The hole gets enlarged and rethreaded to a larger size and then an insert goes in, bringing it back to what it was.
    The backside isn't open. It's enclosed into the seal plate.
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

The motor holes were never threaded. You're good.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Even better!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

OK big time blonde moment...I think the bolts are SUPPOSE to slide through the motor plate and then screw into the seal plate grommets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Hahaha just realized that...thanks!!!
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep, you're good to go.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

8. Back To Top    #8

The corrosion had built up inside and when I removed the bolts it left a thread looking pattern...haha! Thanks again guys!
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG