Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noobie here.. Question about pool ladder - how many steps?

1. Back To Top    #1

Noobie here.. Question about pool ladder - how many steps?

Hi Everyone,
    I've been lurking for a long time, but have never posted..
    Last year we purchased (used) an on-ground pool.. By the time the deck got built around it, it was almost time to close up for the year so we never worried about a ladder. A ladder did not come with the pool, so i'm looking at purchasing a gently used one.
    My question is. The depth of our whole pool is 48". Would a 2 step ladder be long enough? Do any of you have a 2 step ladder in an area with the 48" depth? I have a suspicion that it might not be long enough

Thanks in advance for any replies.. I can't wait until the weather up here in the North is warm enough to open this beast.
    noobie :-)
    16x32 oval 'on ground' vinyl, 13700 Gallon, 48" depth, rocky roller, Hayward Ultra Pro LX pump, Carefree 150lbs sand filter, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noobie here.. Question about pool ladder - how many steps?

Mom's pool is 54" but she has 4 steps and it's still not what I would classify as easy to get out of. This gives a distance of roughly 12" per step. I dislike this enough that the inground they are fixing to build will have 9" steps to make it easier getting out. I don't think 2 would be nearly enough for a 48" pool which would be 24" per step, especially if you have any kiddos or people with knee/hip/joint problems using the pool.
    22X40 31000 gallon IG. AquaBright plaster, Jandy 2hp epump, 60sqf de filter, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Polaris 965, jxi400 propane heater, iaqualink control, 2 Watercolor LED lights, Taylor K2006, My Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

Benm2010, thank you. I decided to do some more research and you're right. A two step ladder would leave a very large reach to get your foot into the first ladder step.
    Three step it is 😊

noobie :-)
    16x32 oval 'on ground' vinyl, 13700 Gallon, 48" depth, rocky roller, Hayward Ultra Pro LX pump, Carefree 150lbs sand filter, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I would love to see what U got. Im one with hip issues and this durn ladder...
    Florida Intex 16x48 Prism Frame Above Ground, intex 635t filter pump, installed 6/30/17, not well water. Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

So Vec did u find answers? Im curious. I found that at Lowe's they have the stringers but for a 48" high, u would want 7 steps (487 [the ideal stair height] then u have how many steps) I want a landing but haven't found the right plans. Here are a few ideas I found. I really love that last pic. I'd love to have that edge. And those steps
    Florida Intex 16x48 Prism Frame Above Ground, intex 635t filter pump, installed 6/30/17, not well water. Taylor K-2006 test kit