Getting rid of scale

After following instructions from this forum, my pool is now balanced:
    FC = 6
    CC = 0
    PH = 7.6
    CH = 300
    TA = 80
    CYA = 40

I travel so I only test my pH once a week. I always adjust to 7.5 but the pH tends to grow to 8.0-8.1 over the week.

Question 1 = Short of adding Muriatic 2 or 3 times a week, is it ok to get my pH down to 7.3 so that it stays in the [7.3 - 7.8] range? Or is it better to be in the [7.5 - 8.0] range? I assume the former.

I have a spa that overflows into the pool. The water line goes down slightly when the pool pump is off, leaving a scale line on the tiles (see picture - I took the picture at noon so the actual situation is looking worse than on the picture).
    Scale Line.jpg

The situation is stable since my pool got balanced, but I would like to get rid of the scale line. I read the following options
    1) Pumice stone (and elbow grease)
    2) Diluted muriatic acid (1:5 ratio) applied directly to the scale (need to pay attention to the grout)
    3) Lower the pool pH level and brush frequently with stainless steel brush
    4)
    Sequesterant (e.g., from Leslie's pool)
    5) Sanding / grinding (overkill for my situation)
    6) Acid wash (WAY overkill for my situation)

Question 2 = is the above the right sequence or would you suggest a different sequence?

Thanks!
    16,600 gallon, midnight blue gunnite in-ground pool with attached spa, Hayward Ecostar 3400VSP variable speed pump, Jandy Aqualink 6100 panel, Blue Haven 450 Filter, HiTec solar panels, Stenner 45MPHP10 connected to Jandy panel for chlorination, Jandy Lite2 Model LJ propane gas heater, Polaris 360, TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting rid of scale

Aim for 7.2 pH and buy a little insurance.

As a side benefit, the TA will come down some. If the TA is in the 60 range, the pH rise should slow down some, which will buy you even more time between adjustments.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard - what's your perspective on removing the scale line?
    16,600 gallon, midnight blue gunnite in-ground pool with attached spa, Hayward Ecostar 3400VSP variable speed pump, Jandy Aqualink 6100 panel, Blue Haven 450 Filter, HiTec solar panels, Stenner 45MPHP10 connected to Jandy panel for chlorination, Jandy Lite2 Model LJ propane gas heater, Polaris 360, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by asquare View Post
    Thanks Richard - what's your perspective on removing the scale line?
    Pumice stone to remove the worst. Adjust pH and TA to drive CSI negative, raise the water level, and be patient.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Will do and will report back in a few weeks - thanks!