My new custom Test Kit

PenskeFile

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Georgetown
After a while, the TFP method is soooo good that you have to turn your attention to other pursuits. I stole this idea from someone else on this forum, but added my own touch as well. Since I now have test chemicals, a speedstir, digital pH meter and assorted vials,a large water sample bottle and extra skimmer socks., I wanted to get them all in one easy-to-carry case. Two days ago I received this Stanley Deep Organizer from Amazon http://a.co/3DGiBcS

To make it a little more effective, I cut out 3x4 foam strips from some floor padding I had and drilled 1 inch holes in the top two layers. There is a third layer underneath it to provide a little more height so that the tops of the bottles just touch the lid when the lid is closed. I like to keep the bottles in order like they come in the K2006 case and this ensures they don't move around. I printed a color photo of the test kit instructions and laminated it as a sheet.

A little shuffling of the boxes, plus drilling small weep holes in the bottom and the the cover to allow moisture to exit and voila. If anyone might appreciate the design, it would be the people here. Now I just need to hear about how I did something wrong and I will ruin my speedstir, pH meter or somehow mess up my test results
:(

6984214F-7E06-491B-BFFF-62B6E15B4EDD_zps7z2vxxky.jpg

Oh man that is so messed up! What you need to do is send it to me and I will "fix" it for you!!!! It will be all good when I lay my BLING :queen: hands on it. You may never see it again though as it will be living in my palace's cabinet!

Talk to me more about how you did the foam. How tall is it? How did you drill the holes? I like the idea of the bottom part being foam still.

You have SKILLS!!!

Kim:kim:

You know just this morning I was looking at my test kit thinking, how can I make it better. Now that I've seen both of your kits, I have more of an idea now of what I'd like to do. Love both setups @PenskeFile and @Texas Splash

Ha - thanks for the comment kimkats. The foam came from some flooring I had bought a while back at Harbor Freight for my home garage gym. It is much like this at Amazon, but I couldn't find the same at Harbor Freight's website today. The ones I have don't have that "faux metal" treatment like the Amazon link.

I cut one 3x4 strip and made sure it was a good tight fit. Then I drilled three equally spaced holes down the center with a 1" drill bit. That became my template for the remaining foam inserts. I just cut a 3" wide strip from the foam with a razor knife and then used the template to cut across into 4"pieces. Once I had 15 of those, I set 5 aside to be the bottom layers. Then I put the template (with holes already drilled) on top of two blank pieces and drilled through those into a spare 2x4 at the bottom. I lightly clamped the foam to the board to keep it from moving around.

After drilling the holes, I just inserted a solid piece into the bottom of each with two "holy" pieces on top of that. This keeps the drop bottles very secure and you can shake the whole container to your hearts content and they ain't moving.

Happy crafting!

Edit: actually I did find the HF version, I just didn't recognize it from the picture as 4 tiles. Here is a link You'll need to fin another use for about 85% of the material, but you sound like the type who can do that!

Interesting. I went the other direction. I had a small box and I put in only what I need to test FC/CC and pH. I have another box that I rarely use to do all the other test. It seemed silly to carry around the big box just to test FC. And it keeps most of my bottle out of the sun and heat.

I do my first aid kits that way too. A small box with the basic stuff and a big box that covers just about everything. I got tired of pulling out the big box just to grab a bandage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.