How many lights do I need? And other planning questions

Apr 17, 2017
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hi! We are in the engineering/planning stages of building our first pool, would love some feedback!

We are in Florida and have a decent sized yard for our neighborhood - but not big compared to many I have seen on this site. So the proposed pool dimensions fit our yard, but we could probably go slightly bigger if needed. There are two Jandy Nicheless LED Pool Lights pictured in the attached drawing - our PB didn't like the placement that the engineer selected and suggested we instead go with one large Jandy WaterColors LED in the deep end (left side of picture, under the bench). We will also have an LED bubbler in the sunshelf.

Questions:
1. 8x11 sunshelf with bubbler - does this seem too big for the pool we have pictured? We really want to comfortably fit two loungers and an umbrella, with plans for future kiddos to play there...I had a sunshelf growing up and loved it
2. Overall dimensions 13x26.5 (but really 13x25 considering 18inch bench across deep end) - any major improvement if its a little wider or longer?
3. Where would you put lights (the house is located on the "bottom" of the picture)? And any comments on types proposed above (2 smaller vs 1 larger)
4. Would one light be enough for this size pool?

Other general comments welcome! Thank you!

pool1.jpg

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

You'll have plenty of people weigh to in on your build, I just wanted to be the first to say hello, and welcome you aboard. I hope you enjoy it here, and good luck on your project!

:goodpost: That Jandy design guide for nicheless lights is GREAT

The. Standard TFP advice is in there. Along the long wall facing away from the main seating area. I might put one in the shallow end short wall for more even lighting. The single light in the deep end would work but you would end up with a bright light in the swim path (ok only small kids will do laps). You will get more even overall lights with the nicheless lights

Thank you!! That guide is exactly what I was looking for. I searched all over the Jandy site, don't know how I missed that.

The pool picture is very helpful too, I think one light would look similar in ours.

We are also adding umbrella sleeves, right now thinking one in the sunshelf and one behind the sunshelf (to give us the option of traditional umbrella and cantilever). Any where else you would add? Any concern putting a sleeve in the pool?

Yes there is a serious concern with in pool umbrellas -- for the makers of coppertone and other suntan lotions. You won't need to purchase as many. Plus its easyer to drink the margarita in the shade in the pool.

On a serious note. No they work great and my wife (or me) could not live without ours. They just give you more options on hot afternoons with the sun right overhead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.