Spa Spillway (Multiple RPM's)

Apr 17, 2017
sacramento CA
Hi,
Here's an interesting question for you guys.
First off I have a complete Pentair system with variable speed pump.

I want to be able to have multiple speeds on my spillway.
My wife wants one setting with no bubbles in the spa when the spillway is running.
She wants another setting with bubbles.

I spoke to the guys at Pentair and they say it can be done. I programmed my easy touch 8 and screenlogic system, tried it, it didn't work. I called them back, they programmed it (the same way) and it still didn't work.

Like I said, I called Pentair and they programmed my aux 5 with as a spillway at a higher rpm.
However, when I try to use it, nothing happens. If I turn on the spillway with the existing program, it works.
it seems to me that you can only have one spillway setting. I've also tried setting it up as a feature and I have the same issue.

Does anyone know if you can actually have two different spillway settings like this? One high rpm and one with low rpm?

it's not that big of a deal for me, I was just curious if anyone has two settings for their spillway.

By the way, I have been able to program multiple features for my pool. I can set up features with different rpms and they all work.. It just doesn't work on the spillway.

There is a work-around for my issue.

This is what I need to do:
I have my spillway set to 2100 rpm.
I turn on the pool first. The pump ramps up to 3000 rpm for 45 seconds or so, then drops back to the normal run at 2100 rpm.
After this is done, I can turn on the spillway and it comes on with no bubbles and a nice slow waterfall over the spillway.

If I want some bubbles, but not as much as are produced in spa mode, this is what I need to do:
Turn on the spillway by itself without the pool being on.
The pump turns on and ramps up to 3000 rpm for 45 seconds, but this speed and the 45 seconds are just enough to start sucking air through my spa vent stack.
When I do this, some bubbles are made, not as strong as the spa mode.

Anyone have any ideas thanks in advance.
the dog.

I confirm my system is as yours - it will not let me use two Circuits with Function of Spillway.

I have one Spillway set up that I use now - pump speed 3450. I added another Circuit with just one of the default Usernames (04) - assigned the circuit function Spillway and surprisingly Under the pump speeds Username04 showed up, assigned a slower pump speed. Pool is already on - select original Spillway - works fine, turn it back off. Select new Username04 (spillway) and I get nothing. No valve or pump changes.

I deleted the new circuit and pump speed. I re-read your thread and wanted to try something else - I added it back - Username04 with Spillway function, exactly like I had it before - Get to the pump speed screen and Username-04 is not there, can't get it to show up. can't assign a new speed if I wanted now, but I could the first time around The new Username04 shows up on my "Features" page however, so I go out to try it - original Spillway works as designed, new Username04 does nothing.

So - although they'll let you choose the Spillway function twice I can't get it to activate in any way. It also seems there is a bug or two here - no reason you shouldn't be able to choose Spillway and assign the different pump speeds to it, as well First time I got Username04 to show on pump speed screen and second time it would not.

My Controller Module is EasyTouch2.8 and Controller Firmware is 2.140- would like to update, but they make it way too difficult. Did they ask or check your versions? Or how do yours compare to mine? Looks like 2.160 is the latest version

Good at lest I'm not going looney. I need to wait until I get home to get the version numbers if the firmware and software. My equipment was manufactured in November 2016 so I am assuming I have all the newest software and firmware. Thanks for the help and keeping my sanity.
Dog out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try this...

Set up your spillway to come on and run at say 1,500 RPM...

Set up a Feature circuit... as generic and just for Pump RPM 2,500.

Turn on the spillway and it should run at 1,500.. Leave it on..

Turn on Feature and the pump speed should increase to 2,500. If you turn off the Feature the speed will go back to 1,500

I don't have a spa or spillway or I'd try it..

It should work, as that is how I change my pump's speed.. "Pool" is set for 1,200 and stays on, when I schedule or select a feature circuit the speed changes. Keep in mind that the highest speed will always be used.

Jim R.

Good Call Jim, thanks. Dog I'm going to spoil your "wait til I get home to try it" - I turned the pump speed way down on my Spillway - activated it - Goes to Spillway mode with low pump. I already had a "High Speed" Function at 3450 for when I want to add chemicals, etc and stir it up quick - so I hit the high speed button and sure enough Spillway stays on and pump goes up to 3450. Hit the High Speed button to turn it off and sure enough, stays in Spillway mode and goes back to lower pump.

So there it is - two easy buttons. Change the name on your "High Speed" to whatever makes her happy.

Doesn't get around the fact that it should have worked as originally described, but there is a pretty easy way to implement.

I'm also just really trying to understand why she would want spillway with bubbles? I use spillway because I get a full curtain of water and it is much quieter than just the normal flow of water tumbling into the pool. I would not want to break it up and make it louder, but we are all different in that way I guess.

Thanks again Jim.

GDN... good one...

yeah so that's the way to do it.

so I set it up with spillway being the lowest speed at 1700 so it still powers the swg. The next is 2400 and then 3200. This gives her what she wants now.
Its much easier for her to understand now that its set up on her iPhone app.

The only limitation I can see is this. And its not really a limitation, its just the way the thing is designed. There are only so many circuits and features that can be set up.
If you want to control everything at the equipment on the panel by pressing a button you need to set it up as an aux circuit. Its much easier to just push the one button than to scroll through menu, special features, and then select which one.
So if you do that, you lose control over that particular relay because the button takes over and its associated relay is not used. So if you need a bunch of your relays for other things you need to set it up as a feature. That's just if you want to use the panel.
If you are using the pc or the app, then it doesn't matter which one you use because the app doesn't care and you can assign to put that button on different screens of the app.

In my case I want to be able to control at both the poll equipment and the app. So I used the aux to do that. Now, I am out of buttons and still have 3 extra relays available.

thanks again for all the help JR, GDN

laters
the dog

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dog,

You only need to use an Aux circuit if you need to control an actual external AC powered device, like a blower or single speed booster pump...

So I can't understand why you would be out of buttons and still have three unused relays..

You can also add an additional relay driver (Aux ex) assuming you never intend to use Solar

Thanks,

Jim R.

Is there another way?

I want to be able to open the panel and press one button.

You set yours up as features. Right. You need to press menu then press select to select features and the scroll down to select the setting.

I only need to press one button to start the spillway then the other button for the speed.

I guess if I ever add more ac equipment that I need to control I will need to reprogram it to a feature.

Dog,

Now I understand what your were saying about more than one button...

Now, my confusion is why you ever need to touch the outside panel at all?

Since I installed ScreenLogic, I never use the any of the buttons on the ET, I just use the icons on my PC when I'm inside, and on my tablet when outside.

But... different strokes for different folks..

I too ran into the 12 max programs issue.. Only at the time I did not know there was a limit.. It was driving me crazy..
I kept thinking I was doing something wrong, until Expert bdavis, thankfully pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.

Yeah. I wish they would have put additional programmable buttons on the front of that panel instead of needing to access the features menu. I juts unplugged the extra relays from the circuit board so they don't click on and off.

Most of the time I do use my phone for control. I just was making it easier for my other relatives who come over and don't know how to turn on the system.

Thanks again for the help guys. The wifey is happy now. She only need to ups two buttons max at the ET

Have to admit I'm spoiled - I've had Screenlogic since day 1. While the ET is nice I would hate to have to go to the panel to control or turn on features. So many configurations that can be messed up from having full access at the panel. Consider an old iPad or old Android device just for Pool use. Refurbs or even one the kids don't use any more is enough to run a single app or two - makes em perfect for use out by the pool. You can get the waterproof covers for older devices pretty cheap as well. I've got one with the apps needed to run the pool, music, HVAC, alarm, etc. When I travel and have a house sitter or have guests it is an easy way to give them some access if needed, without using my phone or tablet.

The limitation of 12 schedules and egg timers is the biggest limitation. It was before I discovered this site when I ran into the issue. I called Pentair when I ran into the limitation. They must have been VERY cheap on the board and memory chips even a few years back to be limited to 12. Would be nice if they could add a few expand and add a few more.

Yeah. I wish they would have put additional programmable buttons on the front of that panel instead of needing to access the features menu. I juts unplugged the extra relays from the circuit board so they don't click on and off.

Most of the time I do use my phone for control. I just was making it easier for my other relatives who come over and don't know how to turn on the system.

Thanks again for the help guys. The wifey is happy now. She only need to ups two buttons max at the ET

Even so, ScreenLogic is still easier for an untrained user to operate. I use an old cell phone hooked to our wifi for guests to use and have yet to have an issue.

I really don't understand why the ET panel is anything more than a load center anymore :confused:

ScreenLogic makes the setup easy enough that there isn't much explaining to do. Without it is another story for an untrained user.

It really isn't that complicated once you understand what Pentair's engineers were thinking :scratch:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.