Question about wire gauge from house to panel

Weakie

Apr 21, 2017
WILLIAMSTOWN
Hello, I'm looking for some advice on wire sizing.....
I have a Hayward omnilogic control panel. It has the subpanel built in to it and it accepts up to 240 VAC at 125amp max. I'm planning on running a 220 line that would supply 80 amps to the panel. The run is 150ft including all bends. I'm not sure if I need to run 4 conducters at 6awg or 8 awg..... It will be buried in conduit. I tried using a wire gauge calculator and I'm showing that I need 3/0?
My pump is going to be wired 220 and everything else is 110. I will have a salt water generator and a few gfi outlets- nothing elaborate. Any advice? I'm not an electrician, I just want to make the run then have an electrician hook it up but I need to get the right wired there for him. I live in NJ is it matters for climate ect....

Thanks
Glenn

Why 80 amps ? What are you doing out there that needs 80 amps?

I would suggest that you lay the conduit 1" PVC and have the electrician select the wire size and maybe he could help determine load and the main breaker size.

There's no way anyone can answer your question without knowing the amperage of everything you are going to run out of the panel. Let's say you are going to max out 80 amps and you are going to use all 80 amps for more than 4 hours. Then you would need to run wire capable of handling 100 amps.

To allow for a maximum of 3% voltage drop you can use #4 AWG for a 150' run.

Run a 1" conduit like gwegan said. 3 #4's and a #8 ground.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Thank you for the replies. Maybe 80 is more than I need. I just figure I would rather overdo it instead of underdoing it. I'm just running a 3 up variable pump, an omnilogic control panel, a saltwater generator and a couple of gfi outlets for misc things like a radio or chargers for phones.

Thank you for the replies. Maybe 80 is more than I need. I just figure I would rather overdo it instead of underdoing it. I'm just running a 3 up variable pump, an omnilogic control panel, a saltwater generator and a couple of gfi outlets for misc things like a radio or chargers for phones.

40A would likely be plenty for you are looking to power and would need #6 wire pulled for that distance.

At 150 feet for <3% voltage drop on 80 amps, you want #3 copper or #1 aluminum.

If it were me, id run 100 amps. If you ever wanted a heat pump, you'd need it. I'd never go through all that work of installing a sub panel out by a pool to run all the equipment with less than 100 amps.

For 100 amps, you need #1 copper or 1/0 aluminum.
I'd use aluminum. Its about 70 cents a foot. #1 copper is around $1.40

If you go the 80 amp route, #1 aluminum is around 50 cents and #3 copper is around $0.90-$1

Just wondering what formula you are using as i get copper #4's @ 150'. And if you use aluminum make sure you use penetrux. It's too keep the aluminum from corroding and it will.
f64164acd189aa5be6bf254c941fa1bf.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At 150 feet for <3% voltage drop on 80 amps, you want #3 copper or #1 aluminum.

If it were me, id run 100 amps. If you ever wanted a heat pump, you'd need it. I'd never go through all that work of installing a sub panel out by a pool to run all the equipment with less than 100 amps.

For 100 amps, you need #1 copper or 1/0 aluminum.
I'd use aluminum. Its about 70 cents a foot. #1 copper is around $1.40

If you go the 80 amp route, #1 aluminum is around 50 cents and #3 copper is around $0.90-$1

We have 80 amps, a 200 foot run, with a heat pump etc and have 1/0 aluminum wire, FWIW

They are referring to the electric service to the panel, not from the panel to the equipment. It is fine to use aluminum wire for electric service to the panel. And not OK to use aluminum wire from the panel to fixtures.

They are referring to the electric service to the panel, not from the panel to the equipment. It is fine to use aluminum wire for electric service to the panel. And not OK to use aluminum wire from the panel to fixtures.

That's good to know. I thought I'd read in the install manual the main wire from service to panel had to be copper. Definitely save money pulling aluminum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good to know. I thought I'd read in the install manual the main wire from service to panel had to be copper. Definitely save money pulling aluminum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not worth the headaches. You get to many problems down the road with aluminum. I'm biased because I'm an electrician 20 yrs and have seen it my whole career.

Suit yourselves. Its not my money. I'd run aluminum everyday and twice on Sunday's and never think twice.
And yea, #4 copper would work on 80 amps. Id run the #3 if i were using copper, but that's just me.
Depends on which temperature rating you want to use. If the termination lugs aren't marked, assume 60c. That would call for #3. Higher temp rating, sure, go with #4. But id never run less than #3 for 80 amps at that distance.

- - - Updated - - -

We have 80 amps, a 200 foot run, with a heat pump etc and have 1/0 aluminum wire, FWIW

Yup, that's what I'd have done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.