Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: VS pump vs one speed worth the $?

1. Back To Top    #1

VS pump vs one speed worth the $?

I'm sure this has been covered ad nauseam here, but was wondering if we should install a VS pump vs the one speed written in a contract? The contract is for Pentair 1.5 Whisperflo and the cost for a Pentair VS upgrade is $600. We are building a very basic pool, rectangular 14x32 with 6' of that being a sunshelf, so only approx 12K gallons. No spa or water features other than 2 bubblers on the sun shelf.

Thanks!
    Keri

Oh, and I'll get a fancy signature when we complete our build .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: VS pump vs one speed worth the $?

One consideration that isn't mentioned here much is the noise. A VS running at low speed is nearly silent. If your pump is going to be within hearing distance of your pool, I would go for the VS one.
    16 x 32 18,000 gal IG vinyl pool. 1.5HP SuperFlo VS pump. Hayward C4030 425 sq ft cartridge filter. Hotspot FPH heat reclamation pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: VS pump vs one speed worth the $?

Yes, it is worth it. A 1-1/2 hp whisperflow will use about 2000 watts when running. You can run a VS pump at about 1200 rpm for filtering, skimming and making chlorine with the SWG and it will use less than 200 watts.

I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm and it uses 150 watts. My electricity is 10.25c/kWh and I can run my pump 24x7 for less than 12 bucks per month.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach